BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Different battery?

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2012 10:01 #40934 by goatboy
Different battery? was created by goatboy
So my battery has been a bit lazy for a while now so I went to change it out at the weekend and was thinking of getting a more powerful larger battery as the car doesn't get used much and it would be good to have the extra charge available.

Off I trot to the local motor factors to reaplce it...
" Can I get the next size up?" I ask. "No, because of it being a japanese car they have taller thinner batteries, this is the biggest you can get, european batteries won't fit" comes the reply....

Now I know some folk on here have upgraded their batteries so how have you got around that problem? (G13BB engine).

There is some electrics that are right up next to the battery which would stop me putting in a wider one, have people moved these?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2012 10:52 #40998 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: Different battery?
There are several otions open to you but probably the easiest is to fit a more powerful battery in the same space like this one
www.tayna.co.uk/Optima-Yellow-Top-YT-S-2.7J-P3803.html
This is the one I fitted to my VVT and it works fine.

Alternatively, assuming you don't have abs, its not difficult to make a battery tray to fit on the other side of the engine bay. This is what I have done with my auto and allows a much bigger battery, good if you have a winch. The only thing to watch out for is the height of the battery as obviously you don't want the terminals touching the underside of the bonnet!
I ran a heavy cable back to the original positive connection and joined them with a cut out switch.
I made the battery support from angle and welded it together, and then put some aluminium in the bottom to support the battery. I unbolted the original negative wire and bolted it back on the other side of the vehicle.
Just a couple of ideas!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15
The following user(s) said Thank You: goatboy

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 14:49 #41005 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Different battery?
thanks Obarno thats really helpful.
I'd prefer not to move the battery if I can avoid it but it may be the best option, no ABS by the way.

I'll look into the yellow top batteries too. Thanks.

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 15:14 #41007 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re: Different battery?
obarno - do you have a picture as to find out how much room there is as i want to fit one of these in there

www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV-X-1000-Amp-P7632.html

More
23 May 2012 16:27 #41011 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: Different battery?
mine has 2 batteries . one on drivers side , a tall thin one and one passenger which was fitted for the winch. this is about the same size as our golf so there's bags of room

standard jimny - for now

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 16:48 #41013 by oxford_bloke
Rob, if your going to fit two batteries they should always be of the same type, as in simple terms they will always be trying to charge each other, and damage the batteries. What i'm really after is the maximum dimensions of a battery that could fit

More
23 May 2012 17:15 #41014 by Obarno

I'm in France at the minute and don't have a very good up to date picture, but have alook at this which is when I first fitted the battery on that side, and before I installed a new battery. The battery in the pic is a standard Jeep Wrangler 4 ltr battery and is 242 long, 175 wide and 175 high.
I have now fitted this battery
www.tayna.co.uk/574-012-068-Bosch-Equiva...r-Battery-P4049.html
which does everything I want and more. Plenty powerful enough for all winches, but not of course a deep cycle battery. Depends what you want to use it for.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15
Attachments:

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 17:20 #41015 by oxford_bloke
is the Varta battery installed in place of the original?

More
23 May 2012 17:24 #41016 by Obarno
No, its installed instead of the one on the passenger side. Its just an old photo of when I first did it, that battery worked for a bit but was old when I put it in there. It was a stop gap really until I got the Varta. There's no battery in the original position, just the winch solenoids, battery cut out and winch cut out.

More
23 May 2012 18:10 #41020 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: Different battery?
the second battery powers the winch only . the winch has now been removed and is on ebay. i was just trying to explain the available size in the passenger side.

standard jimny - for now

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds