BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

SJ Manual Hubs

More
05 Aug 2010 17:22 #4072 by ooky_123
SJ Manual Hubs was created by ooky_123
Collected the Spacers from Martin and rushed home to fit.. all went together like a dream.
first test however .. select "Locked", turn wheel and ... "Click click click" .. seem like my manual SJ Hubs arnt engaging any thoughts ? I cannot see that ive fitted them incorrectly, they will only go on one way.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2010 17:26 #4073 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:SJ Manual Hubs
There isn't a lot to go wrong with a manual hub. Do you have a working one on the other side?, if so swap them over and see if the fault moves.

Fault moves = faulty hub

Fault stays = possbile broken CV joint??

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Aug 2010 18:46 #4077 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:SJ Manual Hubs
They can stick if not greased inside and have got rusty. You can take them apart and grease them, I did mine when I got them some time ago and have sealed them up with Hylomar Blue sealant everytime I have taken them off the car which keeps water out.

It could be that the spring is trying to push it onto the splines but isn't quite getting there so is rubbing against the edge of them causing the clicking noise.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Aug 2010 19:31 #4083 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:SJ Manual Hubs
That is what I was thinking Martin. I dont think its a broken CV as when I "Lock" the origional hubs, the hubs lock without any issue. I guess Ill get some Parafin and dompletely dr-grease and re-grease. See if that fixes it.

a quick question though, when you install them, should you do it with the hub in "Lock" or "Unlock" ?

One of mine completely fell apart, so I compressed the spring and twisted it so it was completely compressed. I then inserted this and tightened it up.

More
05 Aug 2010 19:47 #4085 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:SJ Manual Hubs
I can never remember if you install them locked or not, I think it's unlocked and I've not had too many problems with them like that.

I've taken to undoing the bolts that bolt it onto the hub with a spanner and not undoing the ones on the outer part at all, which I used to do to be able to get a socket on the inner ones.

That's probably an admission of idiocy as it's probably what everyone else has always done!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Aug 2010 19:50 #4086 by ooky_123
I couldnt do up the inner bolts with the "Top" of the hub attached. may beable to do it with an allen key if I took the wheel off though. Ill have a play tomorrow when I get home from work.

More
06 Aug 2010 06:06 - 06 Aug 2010 06:08 #4099 by mlines
I think the general advice is to install them in the "free" position. I think the manual mechanism places pressure on the spring to force the inner locking ring forward when in the locked position. It is then possible when fitting them "locked" to jam the locking ring if it is not smoothly fitted on the splines.

Fitting them in the "free" position allows the locking ring to float and find its own resting position more easily.

And, no, you cannot do up the inner bolts with the top cap fitted on some models of locking hub. Put the hub to "free" and remove the cap.

Martin

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 06:08 by mlines.

More
06 Aug 2010 06:14 - 06 Aug 2010 17:05 #4100 by mlines
And a timely post on Difflock points you to here...

.. HERE

Martin

Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 17:05 by mlines.

More
06 Aug 2010 16:58 #4112 by ooky_123
Page not found Martin

More
06 Aug 2010 17:05 #4113 by mlines
Thanks - Link now fixed

Martin

More
17 Aug 2010 09:57 #4267 by ooky_123
Followed the above doc and re-stripped them down last night. I think I know the problem ... I might have put too much or the wrong grease in them ... its stopping the locking part from locating on the splines.
Will remove this evening, de-grease and maybe put some graphite grease on it rather than traditional grease.

Could it be the spring also has weakened ?

More
17 Aug 2010 12:34 #4268 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re:SJ Manual Hubs
To fit the hubs without taking them to pieces is easy if you have an Allen key with a ball on the bottom. This will then allow you to tighten them up as normal. I have a key from Snap On that is longer than the hubs are deep and has a 3/8" drive.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds