BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

front caliper stripdown

• Mumbo Jimbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2012 07:27 #40036 by Mumbo Jimbo
Replied by Mumbo Jimbo on topic Re: front caliper stripdown
Great video - he makes putting the piston seal on look really easy. Took me quite a few goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2012 08:47 #40039 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: front caliper stripdown
They look like brand new calipars ! :laugh:

More
12 May 2012 12:28 #40047 by kirkynut

Johnniehec wrote: Kirkynut, did you do the same as me? Stupidly I squirted everything with lubricating oil, well actually it was Tesco's cheapo version which is probably 99% thinners! just had to touch the rubber slider boots and they fell apart, then I had to order the kit to get replacements. Don't put Spray Lube anywhere near the Rubber components!!!
John.

I had used WD40 on the sliders as they were seized as a seized thing! I didn't notice them swell though but they were already tired and perishing and thus in need of replacement!

I had also been using waterproof bearing grease made by Lucas Oils and had not noticed any swelling in the rubbers - however, owing to them being knackered they were not keeping any water out, hence they had seized and kept seizing.

Just in case though, I now have a very large tub of red rubber grease made by Millers I think that came via eBay and will be using that.

The video is very good but how he got the second rubber boot to stay located when he pushed it through so easily I'll never know - mine were a git and I think martin found the same as he mentions it in his guide. Mind you, I didn't take my calipers off the car and did it without disturbing the hydraulics as the calipers themselves are fine and do not need reconditioning yet.

In the summer months I'll re-build the spare set I have unless I can get hold of some of those Lucas ones in the video as their sliders are the bolt that holds the caliper assembly to the caliper bracket and therefore doesn't seize like these Aisin ones.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 May 2012 11:56 #40331 by robs5230
ok seals delivered today . any tips for cleaning the body of the caliper before i rebuild them ?
cheers

standard jimny - for now

More
15 May 2012 16:30 #40351 by supergaz
Brake cleaner fluid, parafin or Diesel.

More
15 May 2012 20:19 #40369 by robs5230
one caliper resealed and back on. what a nasty job. the sliders were about shot , had to get medieval on them to get them somewhere near smooth, particularly the leading one. real tricky job cleaning all the grooves out. passenger side to do then bleeding. the article from martin and the video found on here really helped. good news is that the drivers side wheel spins freely now :)

standard jimny - for now

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2012 21:23 #40375 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: front caliper stripdown
Good stuff mate, let us know how you get on with the other side :cheer:

Steve.

More
19 May 2012 16:46 #40708 by robs5230
passenger side done. i think this has been done more recently than the drivers side. sliders just a bit gummed up. 10 mins to bleed and now brakes are good as new :)

standard jimny - for now

• SOTA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2012 15:00 #55139 by SOTA
Replied by SOTA on topic Re: front caliper stripdown
I sent my calipers to Bigg Red for a rebuild and powder coat. About £150, fitted them with new EBC pads and a set of goodridge lines and now my brakes are pin sharp!

More
08 Dec 2012 15:55 #55146 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: front caliper stripdown
ANother tip, keep the red rubber grease in the house or even the airing cupboard overnight before use, otherwise in the winter its pretty solid!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds