BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

IDEA TO PREVENT BEARING FAILURES COMMENTS PLEASE

• RED JIMNY
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2012 20:22 #37232 by RED JIMNY
I’m sick of changing King pin & wheel bearings in my Jimny.
The other day I had an idea. The bearings general fail as a result of ingress of water / mud into the axle housing probably through the swivel seal.
Since I have long changed to manual hubs, my idea was to introduce a positive pressure down the 4 redundant pipes for the vacuum hubs thus preventing the water getting in.
At first I thought about tapping into the exhaust manifold but I’ve since gone off this idea due to corrosive nature of exhaust fumes.
So I’m currently thinking about a small pump such as windscreen washer pump or if this is not man enough a small compressor. This could be operated by a switch on the dash before entering water. Due to time constraints I probably never get around to trying this but what do you guys think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2012 21:15 #37244 by Bish
The theory is sound. why not give it a go it can't do any harm.

More
11 Apr 2012 11:29 #37276 by kirkynut
I read an article in Total Off road about a chap with a Series LR who did not want to lose his drum brakes for some stupid reason but built it into a challenge truck, so was going through muddy water alot. He drilled his drum back plates and screwed fittings in for compressed air connected to a compressor and turned it on when wading.

It worked well apparently.

So it's worth a try and is something I've considered since reading that article, however, I am not happy with the other effects of muddy water on my Jimjam and would like it to last the test of time, so I've just stopped driving through crap!

Kirkynut

Sent from my HTC, using my fingers!

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2012 14:23 #37291 by adamjimny
I may have a look at work for the bits needed because iv googled it all including positive pressures etc and seems to work well

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

• teafortwo0789
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2012 21:47 #37357 by teafortwo0789
Replied by teafortwo0789 on topic Re: IDEA TO PREVENT BEARING FAILURES COMMENTS PLEASE
Sounds a fair idea. I've been wondering if it might be possible to use rubber TWO swivel seals under the metal ring per side! Crazy or might it be practicle??

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2012 09:01 #37396 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: IDEA TO PREVENT BEARING FAILURES COMMENTS PLEASE
I think you and I are working to the same goal. We ought to put our heads together,.

More
12 Apr 2012 10:51 #37405 by mlines
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWhy not fit Landrover Gaiters, I dont know about the rubber ones but the older leather ones can be made to fit.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2012 11:44 #37408 by X-Eng Simon
Pressure from the crank case (rocker cover) might be sufficient?

I've made my own gaiters for all kinds of things like this out of leather, 'stitched' with small cable ties. I bought a sheet of soft leather on eBay which is easy to cut and has made a dozen or so gaiters of one sort or another. If you rub grease into the surface before fitting, it waterproofs it. Then fill the interior with grease to lubricate the joint. It's actually the grease providing the waterproofing and the gaiter to stop the grease escaping.

Si

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2012 20:32 #37594 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re: IDEA TO PREVENT BEARING FAILURES COMMENTS PLEASE
just a thought could you not do something with the vacum pump. as there must be an exhaust of some kind on it

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 17:58 #38136 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: IDEA TO PREVENT BEARING FAILURES COMMENTS PLEASE
hi my swiwl seal is starting to leak agen can i just buy the rubber seal and cv seal or do i have to buy the swiwl seal kit

or can i make my own swiwl seal lol lol

More
20 Apr 2012 19:19 #38159 by kirkynut
It's your axle oil seal that's leaking so you need to strip it and replace that along with whatever else is worn and allowing enough play in the shaft to make it leak - kingpin or wheel bearings.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 19:43 #38165 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: IDEA TO PREVENT BEARING FAILURES COMMENTS PLEASE
thought it was

when i frist got my jimny the king pins had gone and was leaking all over the road but when i got new king pins and bearings and swiwl seal from j&j motors thay didnt give that axle seal that was one year ago and now its strating to leak agen

thay done me for £160 for that lot and no little axle seal :angry:

would my swiwl seal be ok though guys and just do the little axle seal

any one cleaned and painted the swiwl ball for a better seal lol lol

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds