BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

SJ or Vitara steels?

• Bish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2012 08:07 #37105 by Bish
SJ or Vitara steels? was created by Bish
I've just bought a 2000 Jimny to replace my Defender challenge truck (let the ribbing begin).
I have a set of alloys on the Jimny atm but have been offered a set of Vitara steels or sj steels.
Which have the better offset?
Looking around the sj rims seem to be better? Or could I reverse either set?
Initially I will have a 2 inch lift and 215/75/15 KM2's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2012 08:36 #37106 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: SJ or Vitara steels?
Vitara wheels have a lesser offset, unless they are Grand Vitara which are better.
SJ wheels are better than jimny wheels.

Welcome to Bigjimny.

• Bish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2012 08:44 #37109 by Bish
Replied by Bish on topic Re: SJ or Vitara steels?
Cheers chap sj wheels it is then.

• Bish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2012 09:16 #37114 by Bish
I'll be running two sets of wheels;
215 75 15 for lanes and road use and something around 31 - 33 inch for competition.
So I'll keep an eye out for them but i prefer 15 inch tyres as you get more flex in the sidewall when running low pressures

• Bish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2012 09:42 #37118 by Bish
BFG KM2's for road use and simex for competition shouldn't have any problems laning on bfg's

• Cider
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2012 13:45 #37132 by Cider
Replied by Cider on topic Re: SJ or Vitara steels?
Hi Bish
Welcome to this site,will have to meet up again when you get your jimny out and about
Cheers

pete

More
10 Apr 2012 13:54 #37203 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: SJ or Vitara steels?
I have my hardcore Malatesta Kaiman tyres on SJ steels and my less aggressive Kumho KL71's on 16" GV steels and had every intention of swapping them over between offroading and greenlaning - do you think I bother - hell no!!!

It's all very well having two sets with this in mind but I can't be swapping them over every five minutes!!!

So, my advice is get a set of tyres you can do all you want with that are somewhere in the middle and just use them.

I have 215/80/15 Kaimans and would prefer 31" Kaimans but realistically, I don't need 31" and do not think they would have benefitted me in any situations I can remember over the 215/80/15's which are 29.75" in height realistically when measured.

I have a 4.16 Rocklobster and find 29.75" just right with this on the road. I can maintain 60mph (whilst watching the fuel guage go down) and can do 70mph if I'm feeling brave.

So my advice is to save your money and just get one set.

I know you shouldn't greenlane with aggressive tyres, however, I honestly believe I cause less damage to lanes with these on than I did with less agressive tyres in a smaller size getting stuck in ruts than I do with these on. And as I don;t swap them over, they are the best compromise.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Bish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2012 16:10 #37207 by Bish
I've been swapping my tyres for the last few years depending on what I'm up to.
For example with my defender I would stay on 235 85 16 cooper stt's for green lanes,play days and road use but swap to my 35 inch simex for competitions. As I generally do a competition every 4-6 weeks its not such a chore and saves killing a set of aggressive tyres with road miles.

• Bish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2012 16:11 #37208 by Bish

Cider wrote: Hi Bish
Welcome to this site,will have to meet up again when you get your jimny out and about
Cheers

pete

Yes M8 should be a month or so and it'll have at least a lift and some mud tyres

• Bish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2012 18:58 #37216 by Bish
Good tyres those STT's I've had 235/85/16 and 285/75/16. I wouldn't class them as aggressive tyres though.

More
11 Apr 2012 11:39 #37278 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: SJ or Vitara steels?

Bish wrote: Good tyres those STT's I've had 235/85/16 and 285/75/16. I wouldn't class them as aggressive tyres though.

Potentially though, depending on what surfaces you drive, the extra ground clearance will negate the need for aggressive tread pattern as you'll not get grounded out at all. No good in gloop, but gloop is 'orrible anyway!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds