BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Swivel seal ?

• Gromit
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2012 08:53 #37031 by Gromit
Swivel seal ? was created by Gromit
Ok so looking at changing the kingpin bearings and swivel seals so I"ve downloaded the guide off here.

What I don't understand is how you get the swivel seal on as it doesn't have a cut in it like the retaining rings do ?. Do I cut it or what ??.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2012 13:34 #37037 by Sam_
Replied by Sam_ on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
I'm just about to do my swivel seals too.

In the Suzuki manual it does say to cut them but I wanted to double check too!

More
07 Apr 2012 14:54 #37041 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
If you are changing the swivel bearings, they simply slightly stretch over the ball with the swivel housing removed.

Cutting them is to get them on with the housing in place. I suppose you could glue them back together with super glue and put the cut at the top :whistle:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2012 15:48 #37046 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
I had a word with Martin and he said that when you have everything stripped down the rubber seal will stretch over the housibg. The metal "rings" are already cut so you place those to the top
Why cut a seal if you don't have too?

More
07 Apr 2012 16:14 - 07 Apr 2012 16:16 #37048 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
Yes they stretch over the swivel balls once you've got the steering knuckle off.

They are crap though, nowhere near as good as the old SJ ones, I've replaced mine twice now and have given up until they get really bad as they are not good to start with. It's just a bit of rubber dragging over a bit of metal, that due to it's design is not dead smooth, so it gets worn.

If you are keen, rub your swivels down with fine emery to get them as smooth as you can and if you are really keen paint them to make them dead smooth. T'will make them last longer and seal better.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 07 Apr 2012 16:16 by kirkynut.

• Gromit
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2012 17:48 #37052 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
Cheers guys, gonna try rubbing them smooth then. Must admit that I have been putting this job off for ages but n/side one is now pissing grease out so best get that one done at least !

More
09 Apr 2012 23:21 #37178 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
When I did mine I used a flapwheel in the drill, and loads of emery strips to completely smooth both ball ends, then gave them a coat of Aldi metal protector black paint (like smoothrite but only £5 a tin)

Still look nice now after the winter.

I did leave the paint a fortnight to dry though before I reassembled the swivels :S

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2012 14:04 #37204 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
Hi I put a slit in mine and then put this to the top. Its been fine ever since. at the end of the day its only a dust seal not a water tight seal. the metal rings hold it all together tight enough.

Thanks
James

More
11 Apr 2012 12:08 #37280 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Swivel seal ?
It's supposed to keep the majority of water out too.

Something I did when driving through water regularly was to smear waterproof grease lightly on the swivel and seal to assist but it's no good in dry conditions as dirt sticks to it, so it then needs cleaning off, but despite it being waterproof it'll have probably washed off.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds