BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Check your tyre pressures!

More
31 Jan 2012 07:07 #32267 by mlines
Our new Jimny drives well, in fact it has been all the way from "Darn Sarf" to Blackpool and also fully laden down to Hamble and the marinas.

However it seemed a bit light on the front end to me, a smidgen of jimny wobble if provoked by the road surface and skittish in a cross wind.

A quick check of the tyre pressures (it was fitted with new tyres just before we bought it) shows it had been inflated to 28 PSI all round, a typical tyre centre trick.

Dropping the fronts to the recommended 23 PSI and topping up the backs to 29 PSI and it drives like a dream (well as much of a dream as a Jimny can manage).

So if you are not happy with the way yours is driving, check the front tyre pressures. They should be at 23 PSI for normal tyres and a tad lower for fat off-road tyres (I run mine at 18-20 PSI)

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2012 07:46 - 31 Jan 2012 07:47 #32268 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Check your tyre pressures!
Nice one, I'll try and remember that tip for my Jim Jam. :)

Another tip, get a decent pressure gauge, I have & trust no one.

Had 4 tyres fitted to my car by a pro tyre fitter. Nearly killed myself on the motorway when a group of 'Efniks' swerved into the outside lane directly in front of me but 15 mph slower! :blink:

The tyre fitters' gauge must have been faulty, said he'd put 29 psi in all tyres.
After a pants change, I checked them, approx 8 to10 psi in all of them!!!
You couldn't tell by 'kicking' or 'touch' because they are very low profile tyres.

As you can imagine, the language was quite colourful over the phone! :evil:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2012 07:47 by Keefe. Reason: Spulling mesteak ;)

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2012 08:44 #32271 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Check your tyre pressures!
This is a question I was just going to ask. I have 215 x 15 Saharas. So should I have about 22 front and 28 rears?

• zuki andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2012 09:26 #32276 by zuki andy
Replied by zuki andy on topic Re: Check your tyre pressures!
hi ian, i think you might find 28 psi in the rear a bit to much. if the tyres have got a stiff carcass (ie if it was an extra load van tyre before) you might find it to be a good ride as low as 20psi or even lower. its just a case of trying different pressures and seeing what suits you. i dont carry pasengers and find having front and rear pressures the same suits me. i currently run my 31"tyres at 17-18 psi any harder and the rides to harsh, got the same size tyres on my pajero and run them at 33 psi

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2012 10:23 #32286 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Check your tyre pressures!
I run my 235s @ 18 all round so the CD does'nt jump ;)

• ShuDuck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2012 10:48 #32298 by ShuDuck
Replied by ShuDuck on topic Re: Check your tyre pressures!
I run 20PSI front and rear with 235/75, they wear perfectly even but the roll resistance is ridiculous :lol:

More
31 Jan 2012 20:16 #32356 by supergaz

mlines wrote: Our new Jimny drives well, in fact it has been all the way from "Darn Sarf" to Blackpool and also fully laden down to Hamble and the marinas.

However it seemed a bit light on the front end to me, a smidgen of jimny wobble if provoked by the road surface and skittish in a cross wind.

A quick check of the tyre pressures (it was fitted with new tyres just before we bought it) shows it had been inflated to 28 PSI all round, a typical tyre centre trick.

Dropping the fronts to the recommended 23 PSI and topping up the backs to 29 PSI and it drives like a dream (well as much of a dream as a Jimny can manage).

So if you are not happy with the way yours is driving, check the front tyre pressures. They should be at 23 PSI for normal tyres and a tad lower for fat off-road tyres (I run mine at 18-20 PSI)

Martin

M6 southbound around Charnock Richard services is a bad spot for wobble, and when towing a heavy trailer its a death trap even with a shogun, towing the jimny on a quality Ifor Williams trailer it snakes badly. The road surface is very deeply rutted from the wagons. :angry: :angry:

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2012 21:09 #32367 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: Check your tyre pressures!
hi got 195 80 15 colways what would you recomend boys thanks

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2012 10:49 #32383 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Check your tyre pressures!
Have just dropped pressures from 30psi to 20psi, all round. What a difference.:)

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds