BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear End Noise

More
29 Mar 2010 18:25 #2932 by Cash
Rear End Noise was created by Cash
My jimny is an 2007 average milage, it pulls a boat now and then off and on road.

While pulling out smartly from a junction on a damp road there was an almighty rattle that seemed to come from the rear axle. The noise so far has not returned, has anyone got an idea of what it might have been?

Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2010 18:50 #2933 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Rear End Noise
I'd have a look to see how close things are together, such as the tow bar and exhaust, give them a poke to see if they could touch and make the noise.

Also, have a look at your rear radius arm bushes to see if they are shot and the two parts normally seperated by rubber touched when you drove off swiftly temporarily putting them under strain.

I'm sure it's something simple so it's just a case of getting under it and pulling and poking things about.

Hope this helps

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
30 Mar 2010 15:49 #2961 by Cash
Replied by Cash on topic Re:Rear End Noise
Hello Kirknut,

The noise hasn't come back, it did sound like the diff had lost all its teeth, everything underside looks OK, and at least the Jimny's still in warranty. I think you are quite correct it's something silly.

Thanks,
Dave.

More
30 Mar 2010 17:02 #2964 by Jamie
Replied by Jamie on topic Re:Rear End Noise
Just drain a little bit of diff oil out and look for contamination
if that's what you think it is. all the metal will be at the bottom.
i've not really heard of the diff's failing.

Jamie

More
31 Mar 2010 17:13 #2981 by Cash
Replied by Cash on topic Re:Rear End Noise
Hello Jamie,
Good idea, it'll be the first thing I'll do if the diff starts making any noise, so far all is quite normal.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds