BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Spongey brakes

More
17 Mar 2010 20:11 #2725 by JonathonMarshall
Well i picked up my Jimny on saturday. At first it was pulling to the left while braking so a mate and I took the pistons out the calipers and gave them a good clean - everythings moving freely now. However the brakes aren't as powerful as they were. They need 'pumping up' to be properly, instantly, effective. I can push them to near the floor with very little braking force however after a couple of pumps they're great...drive a bit and back to needing pump. Its like theres a vaccum leak somewhere perhaps? Is this something anybody has heard of?

P.S. I'll put a thread up about the Jimny tomorrow or in the coming days...never stopped with work this week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2010 20:23 #2727 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re:Spongey brakes
Mine do the exact same, ive not had good brakes in months!

new pads, discs, rear shoes, brake pipes the lot,

i did however find the the rear adjusters on the shoes were siezed, going to strip them down this weekend and try and sort them out,

open your bonnet and look over to the brake servo, you will see a black rubber pipe coming from the servo back to the top of the engine, this has a one way valve in it for the brake system, take the pipe of and blow from both ends to make sure its working properly.

More
18 Mar 2010 06:20 #2729 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Spongey brakes
I assume you bled them through after putting the pistons back?

On mine the main cause of spongey brakes were the rear shoes, the adjusters stick and you have to pump each time you brake to push the shoes out to the drums. I would not have thought it was a vacuum leak as this would make the brakes heavy, ie hard to push, not spongey

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Mar 2010 11:38 #2735 by JonathonMarshall
Replied by JonathonMarshall on topic Re:Spongey brakes
Admittedly we didn't bleed them no. Also we haven't looked at the rear brakes so thats something to check too. Okay then, bleeding brakes - do tell. :blush:

More
18 Mar 2010 11:57 #2737 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Spongey brakes
I must admit I am surprised that you managed to clean the pistons without bleeding the brakes, can I check that we have our terminology the same.

See the picture below.

The caliper sliders are numbered 3, whilst the pistons are item 7. The bits that usually stick are the sliders (3) which you don't have to bleed for.

Anyway, bleeding is straight forward. You need a brake spanner or a good 10mm open ended spanner. Go around the car starting with the rear passenger side. Undo the bleed nipple on the back of the brake and get someone to push the pedal to the floor and hold it there, tighten the nipple back up and get them to release the brakes. Its best to use a clear piece of tube from the nipple to a container, look for air bubbles in the fluid stream, repeat the process until no more bubbles can be seen then move on round. The drivers rear side drum does not have a bleed nipple.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Mar 2010 12:02 #2739 by JonathonMarshall
Replied by JonathonMarshall on topic Re:Spongey brakes
:blush: Yeah I meant the sliders...moving swiftly on! Right so now for the rear shoes' adjusters then. Don't suppose there's a How To lying about?

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds