BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Remote central locking

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2011 16:41 #26239 by happypig
Remote central locking was created by happypig
I bought a cheapo kit off eBay. Don't need/want it to flash lights or work horn, just lock and unlock the doors.
Got round to connecting it today and with the aid of the wiring diagram I have worked out that it sticks an earth on the blue/red wire to lock it and the brown/yellow wire to unlock.
Plugged the controller in and when I press the button, I can hear a relay activating but the locks don't activate.
I ran out of light and dinner break then and have had to leave it but before I go back Wednesday I wondered if anyone has fitted one and had the same issues ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2011 19:40 #26254 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Remote central locking
Hi I fitted a full alarm kit off ebay onto the vehicle, all went well apart from the remote central locking system. It took me ages to work out the wiring arrangement I required, was a mixture of those given on the instructions. For a start I could either get the doors to lock, or by changing the wiring it would unlock, but it would not do both.

Eventually by fiddling with the wires on the alarm system I got it to work okay. The wires I had picked in the car were correct, so knew it was my device. The way I decided the wires on the vehicle was to utilize a direct battery feed, simulating the trigger from the lock, thus I could work out polarity etc. It took me ages! I cannot remember the wires, might be able to have a look if you get nowhere, but busy this week so no promises!

HTH

• p1ngu32
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2011 20:29 #26257 by p1ngu32
Replied by p1ngu32 on topic Re: Remote central locking
it could be because the jimny is negative switched. what i did with mine to make things easy was to wire it up to a 2 wire central locking solenoid and attached that to the drivers door pin, when the solenoid opertates it kicks in the jimnys central locking to lock the rest of the doors.

More
21 Nov 2011 21:26 #26263 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Remote central locking
ditto - thats how mine is sorted
;)

• r_ogilvy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2011 06:54 #26266 by r_ogilvy
Replied by r_ogilvy on topic Re: Remote central locking
I bought a falcon alarm a while back, I remember fitting to relays one for lock and one for unlock, oin the the manual it explained there is different types of locking on cars, positive locking and negative locking, I was picking out the positive and I needed the negative wires,
I don't no if this helps.

If u can here the relay clicking try connecting a horn or light on the wires from your alarm witch should go on the locking system and see if the horn sounds. Then u can tell if the alarm is working, but there is positive and negative locking so check that if so I thing is a case of swapping the wires on the relay. That's what my instructions explained

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2011 11:30 #26278 by happypig
Replied by happypig on topic Re: Remote central locking
Thanks for the inputs. I'll get a meter on it when I get time and have a proper play. I'm quite at home with wiring diagrams and testing so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out, it's just a pain getting the connector in/out of the module so I might try and take the module off so I can play with it all connected up.
I'll post a write up/photos when I've figured it.

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2011 14:35 #27201 by happypig
Finally got round to sorting this out and I now have remote locking/unlocking B)

If it helps anyone else, what I did was to remove the module, which is mounted on to the right of the glovebox (also took glovebox out).

There are four wires we need, Battery, Earth, Lock and Unlock. Tap into Battery (white/blue) and Earth (black).
Cut the blue/red and brown/yellow wires (remember to leave enough to be able to connect to them). Normally the blue/red is Lock and brown/yellow is Unlock; to be sure if you apply an earth to either wire, it should lock/unlock the vehicle.

The next bit depends on how the controller is wired; the one I bough had, franky, shite instructions and I started from scratch.
Connect the battery and earth wires to the red and black wires on the locking module and plug it in.
If you can hear the relay clicking when you press the button then the module is working.

Next step is to determine which wires are activated by the controller.

For this bit you really need a multimeter (£5-10 from maplins or suchlike).
Set the meter to the highest resistance scale, usually 10m, and tap the leads together. if the needle wangs all the way over, you're set.

With everything connected and the meter probes in the back of the connector, check which wires get temporarily connected when you press the buttons. This can take a while but stick with it.
Make a note of which ones do what.

Unplug the connector.

On the one I bought, it connected yellow to white when you press lock and yellow/black to white/black when you press unlock.

I therefore ended up with :

Lock - Yellow to White
Unlock - Yellow/Black to White/Black

Take one wire from each pair (I took Yellow and Yellow/Black) and connect them both to earth.

Take the other wire from each pair to it's respective wire on the controller, in my case that was White to blue/red for lock and White/Black to brown/yellow for unlock.

Plug the connector back in and you should be good to go.

• grumpy22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2011 14:52 #27206 by grumpy22
Replied by grumpy22 on topic Re: Remote central locking
Interesting, which kit did you buy?

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2011 16:52 - 04 Dec 2011 16:53 #27220 by happypig
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCheapest I could find:

Edit eBay item not shown on my iPad, will check later, got to Cooke dinner now
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 16:53 by happypig.

• grumpy22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2011 19:23 #27255 by grumpy22
Doesn't show on my iPad either!

But I've seen one for £2.99 plus shipping from hong kong item 260887216183

What do you think?

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2011 19:47 #27259 by happypig
Replied by happypig on topic Remote central locking

grumpy22 wrote: Doesn't show on my iPad either!

But I've seen one for £2.99 plus shipping from hong kong item 260887216183

What do you think?

Looks the same as the one I got.

• grumpy22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2011 21:31 #27270 by grumpy22
Ordered one. I'll give it a go!

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds