BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

roll cage, how close to the body?

• r_ogilvy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2011 19:26 #25977 by r_ogilvy
Replied by r_ogilvy on topic Re: roll cage, how close to the body?
i wanted it for keeping the body off the banks and trees when its lent over,
and like supergaz said for a light roll on a pay and play day, just wanna protect it a bit.

i maid the first hoop tonight and its about and inch around from the body,
i dont mint puting a diagonal on it as im not using the rear seats

im using a 42mm tube 3mm thick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2011 22:46 - 17 Nov 2011 23:19 #25989 by kirkynut
I agree with Rob in that for it to be a "ROLL" cage it needs to be close to the body to look right and not get caught up on branches etc AND needs to have a cross brace.

However, there are other uses for external cages. The picture below shows a Jimny getting close to hitting the windscreen pillar on a tree ( I hope you don;t mind me using this picture ) :

Attachment 296037_2489431444011_1499461112_2804320_65854482_n1.jpg not found

Also as Rob says, without the cross brace through the car as Martin has described he has, the cage will be able to pivot on it's feet as the tubes and their mounts flex. Hitting / rubbing against trees will not cause it to happen enough to cause the cage and body to touch and will therefore protect the body.

If I did not have an external cage my car would be a write off several times over!

My cage does not yet have an internal cross brace and has been on it's side:

Not quite sure what she's so pleased about - she bloody did it!!!

The cage did flex and did touch the body - JUST - causing small - and I mean small - marks to the shell below the front of the windscreen and on the sides behind the doors. They are witness marks if you like. I had a dent in the front wing on that side which is nothing compared to what th damage would have been if I had no cage - again, the car would be a write off!

I had my cage made by a friend who is a fabricator and is getting quite skilled at making cages. He told me from the outset that it is a tree rubbing cage and not a roll cage. Just tell my Mrs that!

The tube thickness is important and if you want it to be MSA compliant so it's it's construction. I'll leave that for those in the know to talk about - Rob B and Simon R!

So an external cage without internal bracing does have it's uses - but they are much better with it!

Note that my cage also bolts onto the original roof bar mounting bolts. I think this helps keep the cage off the body to some extent - but I'm not too naive to realise they are only ickle and will sheer or pull through the roof if much more weight was placed on them!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Nov 2011 23:19 by kirkynut.

• r_ogilvy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 07:19 #25994 by r_ogilvy
Thanks for every ones input,
I made a cage for my vitara a couple off months a ago I gave that some harsh treatment and the cage, like on its side, the cage did hold up. That's why I'm trying one on the jimny

I'll post some pics as I'm going along, please tell me if its crap and I'll try and do something with it, I'm only using a hydraulic bender again, see how it goes.

Nice pictures kirkynut, nice cage

my vitara cage, my first truck
Attachments:

More
18 Nov 2011 08:44 #25997 by kirkynut
From that picture you appear to be pretty proficient in the use of the bender!

I would add a brace across under the windscreen though to stop one side pushing in there. It adds so much strength. As said above, without the internal cross brace it flexed on it's feet so every little helps!

Why did you change from a Vit to a Jimny may I ask. It looks like a very capable Vit you had there!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• r_ogilvy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 09:16 #25999 by r_ogilvy
I think I will try and add a diagonal.

I get bored at home so always want to try something, I bought the vitara for 500 quid did a truck cab and everything on it. I sold it for 2000 quid on ebay, then a was able to buy the jimny for 2000 on ebay, I wanted something with the front live axel unlike the vitara, I did think about a land rover but they are big and heavy.

So I gonna keep going on the jimny see what I can do. The jimny a lot better on the odd angles and banks, the vitara was good in the boggy mud tho

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds