BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing the Crankshaft/Camshaft sensors - help!

• Jimny_Al
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2011 09:27 #25137 by Jimny_Al
I have had this strange problem with my Jimny since buying it, if I drive the car for more than a few miles at more than 3,500RPM (or over 60MPH) the next time the car is stopped it goes a little crazy, the first symptoms are the rev counter needle it starts jumping between zero and 5,000 RPM, the engine loses all power and the engine management and immobiliser lights flicker. If I turn off the engine and turn it back on again after a few seconds the engine is then fine again :dry:

After a bit of research, it appears this is a known issue with the M13A engines crankshaft (and in some cases, camshaft) sensors. So I ordered both (reconditioned) sensors from Cam Suzuki - very fast delivery by the way, less than 24 hours between ordering and arrival. So, armed with my newly purchased sensors and a copy of the workshop manual off to work I went. 5 minutes later Camshaft sensor was fitted (easy to get to, its right beside the radiator), but the location of the crankshaft sensor is a mystery, the workshop manual says its located to the right of the engine next to the alternator, all I can see on my engine in that location is what looks to be a Power Steering pump, I'm confused.........

Would you guys have any ideas where this mythical sensor is located and how I might go about replacing it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sandez
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2011 10:01 #25138 by Sandez
When looking at the engine from the front, the sensor is on the left side of the engine block. It's between the engine block and the alternator.

When I replaced mine I had to disconnect the alternator belt and loosen the screws for the alternator and push it down as far as possible (away from the engine block). That created enough gap to get to the sensor. Install the sensor and follow the steps in reverse.

• Jimny_Al
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2011 10:09 #25139 by Jimny_Al
Thanks for that mate. That would certainly explain why I couldnt find it, I was looking at the wrong side of the block :blush: I'll give it another go at the weekend, along with sorting out the other problems on the car.... (there are quite a few!!!).

• Sandez
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2011 10:19 #25141 by Sandez
No worries mate.

Be sure to check the forums as I'm sure all your other problems have been covered here somewhere.

• zaine
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2011 13:52 #25452 by zaine
id give it a go with just the one sensor replaced, chances are only one is faulty

More
09 Nov 2011 14:33 #25453 by ooky_123
you donot need to completely remove the alternator, just undo the air pipes and move them out of the way ... the alternator will swing out of the way giving just enough room to change the sensor with a bit of swearing and loss of skin.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• zaine
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Nov 2011 11:11 #25508 by zaine
think we managed it with bendy bit and the socket on the end :)

More
10 Nov 2011 17:21 #25512 by ooky_123
Well done guys :) has it solved the problem ?

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds