BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1st broken CV, hopefully the last.

More
30 Oct 2011 19:06 #24824 by kirkynut
Today we entered our first winch challenge! Just a club friendly, nothing serious. After the einch motor decided it had enough - on the first punch! We got a replacement in the form of a newish Bowmotor1 from a mate who had one down the road in his workshop handy!

After the lunch break we got on with it and got about as many punches we could in the time allowed but then broke a CV. It was the cage that gave way.

This is the first one and hopefully the last. I've done what I considered harcore offroading for some time and this year with 29.75" Malatesta Kaimans which I feared may end this way but have broken nothing.

The extra pressures of a competition where you do even more stuff you wouldn't normally do ate the CV.

I can't think of a scenario where we put alot of pressure on the CV's though. I think it just goes to show, they are a weak point on the Jimny and in competition this is going to happen.

Not to worry. I have a spare and whipped the old one out to be able to drive home.

Rob Butler @ ORA I believe is looking into some hardened CV's and shafts but they won't be quick coming.

We've dented the other front wing now too!

Kirkynut

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2011 19:09 #24825 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: 1st broken CV, hopefully the last.
I need a new CV on mine too and I havent done that much offroading really... its ok until almost full lock then it clicks quite a bit.

Its going in the garage soon for new kingpin bearings and seals so will get it done then.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2011 19:28 #24832 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: 1st broken CV, hopefully the last.

kirkynut wrote: Today we entered our first winch challenge! Just a club friendly, nothing serious. After the einch motor decided it had enough - on the first punch! We got a replacement in the form of a newish Bowmotor1 from a mate who had one down the road in his workshop handy!

After the lunch break we got on with it and got about as many punches we could in the time allowed but then broke a CV. It was the cage that gave way.

This is the first one and hopefully the last. I've done what I considered harcore offroading for some time and this year with 29.75" Malatesta Kaimans which I feared may end this way but have broken nothing.

The extra pressures of a competition where you do even more stuff you wouldn't normally do ate the CV.

I can't think of a scenario where we put alot of pressure on the CV's though. I think it just goes to show, they are a weak point on the Jimny and in competition this is going to happen.

Not to worry. I have a spare and whipped the old one out to be able to drive home.

Rob Butler @ ORA I believe is looking into some hardened CV's and shafts but they won't be quick coming.

Kirkynut

Kirkynut

Perhaps you should consider Toyota LC axles or something similar if planning to attend other challenges :-)

More
31 Oct 2011 03:50 - 31 Oct 2011 03:56 #24886 by kirkynut

TomDK wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Today we entered our first winch challenge! Just a club friendly, nothing serious. After the einch motor decided it had enough - on the first punch! We got a replacement in the form of a newish Bowmotor1 from a mate who had one down the road in his workshop handy!

Kirkynut

Kirkynut

Perhaps you should consider Toyota LC axles or something similar if planning to attend other challenges :-)

Perhaps you can donate some along with the money for the fabricator to fit them and some new wheels and tyres to fit too!

Like I said, it was a club friendly, nothing too serious. I don't think I need to go to the trouble of changing axles because I entered a friendly club comp and broke a cv! It's not as quick, easy and cheap as changing a set of brake pads! I'll just not enter competitions as a much cheaper and easier alternative!

I like taking photos at challenges but thought I would see what it's like from the other side. I know breakages are expected which is why I've not done them till now.

My Jim Jam is usually ok just doing offroading so I'll stick to that And taking piccies!
Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 31 Oct 2011 03:56 by kirkynut.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2011 07:32 #24889 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: 1st broken CV, hopefully the last.
you know what they say - if you don't break it youre not trying hard enough! :whistle:

hope you enjoyed the day despite the breakage

More
31 Oct 2011 20:21 #24928 by kirkynut
We did have fun cheers. We spent far too much time in the car park though. The winch motor failing was down to me. I knew it wasn't in the first flush of youth from when I re-built the winch when I bought it about 2 years ago - it was second hand.

I had considered buying a Bowmotor 1 some time ago but other things got in the way - like a new boiler for example.

The CV was at the end of the day but we may have got 2 more punches if it hadn't have gone.

We looked at the score we got and tried to be realistic about what we might have got if the winch hadn't failed in the first section of the day losing us 3 hours. We think we might have made 4th at a push, which would have been great on the first time out!

I think we'll steer clear of comps now though. I've whet my whistle and know that it'll be all or nothing in that respect. Having got this far with no transmission breakages until this I think discretion is the better part of valour and I'll stick to me photo's of others. I enjoy photography too and it's cheaper watching others do it!

Nonetheless, we did have fun though!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds