BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fuel Grade Abroad and Additives

• teafortwo0789
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2011 08:33 #24690 by teafortwo0789
Fuel Grade Abroad and Additives was created by teafortwo0789
B) I will be going into some very remote areas next May and the fuel quality may be either low octane or leaded. I know I must not use leaded fuel, but how can I compensate for low octane in remote areas of Russia / Mongolia / Kazakhstan / ? I want to avoid any potential damage to the engine through pinking / pre-ignition.

What is the effect of additives on the catalytic converter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2011 10:37 #24699 by kirkynut
My understanding is that Suzuki has designed the ECU so that it can withstand different octane fuels by changing the timing according to what's happening according to the information the sensors are telling it.

So in theory you should not have to worry.

Someone has been to Mongolia on here, so they have used fuel from several countries.

Look them up via the search function and send them a PM asking perhaps. They may be able to confirm I am right.

If you do use octane boosters, I can not see that they will have an effect on the cat. There are several such chemicals in normal petrol anyway.

Otherwise, have a chat with your local Suzuki dealer or look up a number for Suzuki UK to be sure before you leave.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: teafortwo0789

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds