BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Transferbox on Jimny

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2011 20:08 - 28 Oct 2011 20:15 #24658 by TomDK
Transferbox on Jimny was created by TomDK
Hi,

I know of the Redacted /rocklobster transfer box for the Jimny, built up of SJ410/Sj413 parts, if I'm correct.

But are there any cheaper ways of getting some sort of lower gearing to the Jimny? Perhaps fitting a standard SJ410/SJ413 transferbox ?

What about fitting a Vitara or Grand Vitara transferbox?

thanks,
Tom
Last edit: 28 Oct 2011 20:15 by TomDK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2011 20:23 #24663 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Transferbox on Jimny
You could fit a 410 or 413 but there is no real benefit from a 413 and a 410 is known as a mini lobster when fitted to a jimny as this gives slightly lower gearing. But to be honest how low do you want your gearing?
Have you considered this?

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/jimny-low...earset/prod_466.html

This will allow you to reduce the gearing on the standard jimny transfer box, without spending out on a sj-jimny fitting kit and props ect.

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2011 20:46 #24673 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Transferbox on Jimny
For now, this is all speculations.
At the moment I'm at sea onboard a danish navy vessel, won't be home before start of december.

But this gives me plenty of time to think about what I need for my Jimny.
The reason I'm asking about a cheaper solution is that I'm already now thinking about putting a bigger engine/stronger gearbox in the Jimny, and therefore not want to spent an awful lot of money on gearbox and such, unnecessary. But perhaps this option from jimnybits is not that bad. my plan is to find a cheap jimny with auto gearbox.

More
28 Oct 2011 21:11 #24675 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Transferbox on Jimny
Have you considered fitting a Baleno engine? either 1.6 or 1.8? This has been discussed on here before. This will be the easiest way of fitting a bigger engine, Id start first with changing to a 6:5.1 or rocklobster, if this is to expensive or extreme then the jimnybits gears are great.
Are you wanting to build a play day hero / extreme ? Green laner? or just have a bit more power?

Sounds like you have plenty of time to explore Bigjimny and read all the excellent guides, and also look at all the sites for jimny parts suppliers. Then know what bits you need to build the jimny that you want.

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2011 22:21 - 28 Oct 2011 22:23 #24676 by TomDK
I have seen the Baleno engines fitted. Also seen 1.9 TD from VW, But...
My plan for this Jimny build is not something that needs to be road legal. In fact, It's only for offroad :-)

Because of that I'm thinking of doing it a bit more extreme - installing a Cosworth V6 24v 2,9 engine, around 200 bhp/ 280 nm :-) They go for around 700-1000 euro in germany for a Ford Scorpio with this engine in, and comes with auto-gearbox. I've seen this engine fitted in to a Samurai and a Vitara. So it should also fit in a Jimny :-)

For Transfer it's either something Toyota LC or Nissan Patrol. Same goes for axles :-)
But for starters, I just go for the standard Jimny engine, and hoping for some relatively cheap lower gearing. Perhaps this kit from jimnybits you just linked to :-)

And yes, plenty of time out here. I check out this great forum many times a day. And also frequently visiting jimnybits, bits4vits, KAP and so on :-)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2011 22:23 by TomDK.

More
29 Oct 2011 06:21 #24678 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Transferbox on Jimny
If you are going extreme off road, change the axles for something stronger, with better swivel housings at the front. You might get ones with a locker at the rear too.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
29 Oct 2011 07:33 #24684 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Transferbox on Jimny
The Jimny transfer box is not the strongest with it's chain design so a Rocklobster would be a good idea regardless of axles. The cheapest way to a Rocklobster is probably Redacted . I also trust him to get it right and his bucket mounts are strong and spread the loading on the box mounts where they bolt to the box's alloy casing.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2011 12:42 #24709 by TomDK
As I wrote earlier.
I will go for either Nissan Patrol or Toyota LC axles. Most people tell me that the Patrol Y60 or Y61 axles are the strongest, but also heaviest.

Don't think I'll spend more money the absolutely necessary on the standard jimny engine and transmission. But the Jimnybits gearing looks interesting. :-)

• FIRSTJIMNY
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2011 20:08 #24989 by FIRSTJIMNY
Replied by FIRSTJIMNY on topic Re: Transferbox on Jimny
Check with www.lowrangeoffroad.com. You can get a newly rebuilt Samurai transfer case with 4.16 gears for $649.00 USD. Considering the difference between the USD and your money the price even including the shipping could be a pretty good deal. I just purchased on and I live in Latvia. They offer other gear ratios but the cost is different for each one. They also have a number of upgrades available for it if you are interested. Would be worth you time to check it out.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds