BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Is it time for a cam belt change

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 09:42 #24510 by Topper
Is it time for a cam belt change was created by Topper
Hi
I have been told that the cam belt on my 2004 jimny O2 is due for a change at 6 years..so its due now with 34,000 miles on the clock,

Is it a big job?...easy DIY ?..im no mechanic

Topper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2011 11:37 #24522 by mlines
Only the G13BB engines have cam belts. I see yours looks like a Spanish Soft-top, therefore there is a chance it has a G13BB engine in it, all other models changed to M13AA engines in 2001. Its worth a check of which engine you have first.

You have to take the front covers/belts/pulleys off the engine, so it includes removing the radiator etc. You also need to align the timing marks properly when you re-assemble.

Perhaps a touch ambitious if you have no experience.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• grumpy22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 15:09 #24543 by grumpy22
Replied by grumpy22 on topic Re: Is it time for a cam belt change
I'm going to be doing mine in the next few weeks. I'm fairly competent but due to the amount of faff would gladly out source the job

• happypig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 07:11 #24575 by happypig
Replied by happypig on topic Re: Is it time for a cam belt change

mlines wrote: Only the G13BB engines have cam belts. I see yours looks like a Spanish Soft-top, therefore there is a chance it has a G13BB engine in it, all other models changed to M13AA engines in 2001. Its worth a check of which engine you have first.

How do I check which engine I have in my 2001 hardtop as I'm having the same thought ?

More
27 Oct 2011 12:06 #24583 by mlines
The definitive way is to look at the VIN number. JB33 is G13B, JB43 is M13A

At a quick glance the CAM belt cover on a G13BB is plastic, the CAM Chain cover on an M13A is metal.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• happypig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 13:03 #24584 by happypig
Replied by happypig on topic Re: Is it time for a cam belt change
JB43. Sorted, thanks.

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 14:07 #24586 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Is it time for a cam belt change
Hi,

The cam belt on the Jimny is by far the easiest I have ever done! I am only a DIY mechanic at home, have no formal training but spent many an hour under a car.

If you are a patient, and diligent mechanic and you can change an auxiliary belt, refill a cooling system and are not in a rush, you can do it no probs.

I got all the parts from JA Parts Ltd for under £50 (changed the tensioner as well) and it took me less than 3 hrs to do. Happy to help further if I can.

Cheers

• grumpy22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 15:31 #24588 by grumpy22
did you take the rad out? I think it'll help with access considerably. best price I can get for a belt and pulley is £55 delivered. All the locals want more to collect

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 16:07 #24589 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Is it time for a cam belt change
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

grumpy22 wrote: did you take the rad out? I think it'll help with access considerably. best price I can get for a belt and pulley is £55 delivered. All the locals want more to collect

I ordered this:

And this:

Don't know why but it works out cheaper than this, but is exactly the same!

They combined postage, and delivery was unbelievably quick.

I did not take the radiator off. I did however remove the 4 nut/bolts which hold the cowling onto the rad, and removed it when I removed the viscus fan, this allowed plenty of room, and I did not struggle at all.

HTH

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 17:01 #24596 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Is it time for a cam belt change
if its the g13bb engine its a very easy job to change the belt & tensioner

i had never changed one on any car before but did one on a jimny few months ago & was supprised just how easy it is

i would recomend taking the rad out as it gives you alot better access & makes the job easyer

• grumpy22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 18:58 #24601 by grumpy22
yes it's the G13 engine. I'm going to give the supplier above a call tomorrow. thanks for the heads up. I like the idea of not removing the rad as it cuts down on the faff, is access OK with the rad still on?

done quite a few belts and they've all been messy fiddly jobs - even on landies. just poor tight access.

thanks

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2011 07:29 #24611 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Is it time for a cam belt change
access is tight with the rad in & as its takes less than 5 mins to take rad out its not worth the stress of leaving it in

i suppose everyone does things a bit differant

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds