BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Diff locker or Winch? Which one first

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2011 15:34 #24039 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Diff locker or Winch? Which one first
I don't know about their shafts - but the way the locker works gives me more confidence in them.

I would be surprised if their shafts are weaker than the originals - and I would consider a review stating this as subjective. You cannot tell if they were being used in the same way, with the same tyres etc.

Si

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2011 16:41 #24045 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Diff locker or Winch? Which one first
all I know is just that I made a search on google to find out people's opinions with KAM Diffs. And many posts on different forums stated that KAM Diffs are fitted with weak axles. I remember in one post a guy stated that they (KAM) are stronger that the cheese-like LR axles, but weaker than Jimny axles :-)

I know they are only half price of ARB, and that you spend a fair sum of money just for the brand when buying ARB. But, usually you get what you pay for.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2011 18:52 #24058 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Diff locker or Winch? Which one first
If i had the money then i may go for ARB. The way i look at it is KAM are cheaper but its not like its some cheap chinese copy. They work, are well made and enginered. As i said the only possible downside of them is the modifying you have to do to the axle. Plus they are developing a front locker to with stronger cv joints, i think. Now that would be a good investment! I surpose at the end of the day you way up all the different factors and get which one suits you. I wont be getting it soon anyway, the winch will be comeing first thanks to everyone's kind sugestions. ;)

Nobby

More
19 Oct 2011 19:05 #24061 by kirkynut
I think you have to bare in mind we are talking about the ickle Jimny not the big heavy LR. Also, what size tyres / lead right foot have those who have broken KAM shafts got and were they in competition or mucking about. Big differences!

The thing I like about KAM Jimny shafts is the removable end flange so you only have to press/cut off the bearing not the retainer when changing rear bearings - making it quicker and easier!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2011 21:07 - 19 Oct 2011 22:24 #24071 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Diff locker or Winch? Which one first

kirkynut wrote: I think you have to bare in mind we are talking about the ickle Jimny not the big heavy LR. Also, what size tyres / lead right foot have those who have broken KAM shafts got and were they in competition or mucking about. Big differences!

The thing I like about KAM Jimny shafts is the removable end flange so you only have to press/cut off the bearing not the retainer when changing rear bearings - making it quicker and easier!

Kirkynut

I believe that when peolpe say the KAM Shafts are weaker than standard Jimny axles they've been tested under the same conditions.

I find it a bit strange. Many of you guys here seem to just ignore that there is a chance the KAM HD-shaft may in fact actually be weaker than standard Jimny axles. It's like, "if we don't talk abot it, then maybe there's nothing to it".

I'm not saying that KAM diffs are useless or anything. But there must be a reason why ARB lockers are so popular, and KAM diffs still is considered a budget diff-locker. You get what you pay for.

And by the way. I really like the idea of the KAM locker, and have also considered them myself. But having read about this weakness of shafts made me reconsider :-)
Last edit: 19 Oct 2011 22:24 by TomDK.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2011 07:29 #24081 by Nobby22

TomDK wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I think you have to bare in mind we are talking about the ickle Jimny not the big heavy LR. Also, what size tyres / lead right foot have those who have broken KAM shafts got and were they in competition or mucking about. Big differences!

Kirkynut

I believe that when peolpe say the KAM Shafts are weaker than standard Jimny axles they've been tested under the same conditions.

I find it a bit strange. Many of you guys here seem to just ignore that there is a chance the KAM HD-shaft may in fact actually be weaker than standard Jimny axles. It's like, "if we don't talk abot it, then maybe there's nothing to it".

I'm not saying that KAM diffs are useless or anything. But there must be a reason why ARB lockers are so popular, and KAM diffs still is considered a budget diff-locker. You get what you pay for.

And by the way. I really like the idea of the KAM locker, and have also considered them myself. But having read about this weakness of shafts made me reconsider :-)

I have had a quick look on the internet and couldnt find any acticles on weak KAM Jimny shafts. Do you have any links? I have seen people talk about weak Landrover KAM shafts. I can understand that because of the weight of a landrover. Iam sure they will fix it if that is the case. No point selling "stronger half shafts" if they are actualy weaker!

Nobby

More
20 Oct 2011 07:31 - 20 Oct 2011 07:41 #24082 by kirkynut

TomDK wrote:

Kirkynut

I'm a little confused when you say KAM shafts are possibly weaker than Jimny axles. We are comparing shafts to shafts. There's no way in this world KAM shafts are weaker than a standard Suzuki shaft and certainly not weaker than standard LR shaft.

I will make myself absolutely clear. I do not think a Jimny with big aggressive tyres and a locker will snap a KAM shaft.

A search on Google to find opinions is just that opinions. No scientific testing has been done. Just a bloke with 35" Simexes, a locker, a heavy right foot and a snapped shaft and It's all KAM's fault.

When you read LR comparisons online they are probably comparing them to Ashcroft shafts. Another debate entirely.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 20 Oct 2011 07:41 by kirkynut.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2011 09:49 #24088 by Nobby22
Thats what i was thinking Kirkynut. Iam not saying Tomdk is wrong but like you i find it hard to believe, one that KAM would make a weaker shaft and two, a Jimny could brake a shaft anyway. I am sure they will be more than strong enough for me. :) If there is evidence they are weaker then i would like to know. I not defending KAM, i want to know good and bad points from both locker makes.

Nobby

More
20 Oct 2011 14:37 - 20 Oct 2011 14:41 #24105 by kirkynut

Nobby22 wrote: Thats what i was thinking Kirkynut. Iam not saying Tomdk is wrong but like you i find it hard to believe, one that KAM would make a weaker shaft and two, a Jimny could brake a shaft anyway. I am sure they will be more than strong enough for me. :) If there is evidence they are weaker then i would like to know. I not defending KAM, i want to know good and bad points from both locker makes.

Nobby

A few people on here have snapped a standard rear shaft on a Jimny, so it can and does happen. I don't know of anyone on here with KAM shafts in the rear of their Jimny. I did some research some time ago when I was considering a locker and found a guy in Scotland using them but he was the only chap I could find.

I think someone on here has snapped a standard rear shaft with an open diff too.

They can tell you the circumstances I'm sure.

The other thing to consider is that ARB don't sell shafts for Jimny's so you have to source some from somewhere. At this moment the options are KAM or D&G Tuning. ORA may do them in the future from what I've read on their forum.

Kirkynut

Last edit: 20 Oct 2011 14:41 by kirkynut.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2011 16:44 #24123 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Diff locker or Winch? Which one first

TomDK wrote: I believe that when peolpe say the KAM Shafts are weaker than standard Jimny axles they've been tested under the same conditions.

OK - you believe that, but do you have a link or evidence that backs it up?

TomDK wrote: I find it a bit strange. Many of you guys here seem to just ignore that there is a chance the KAM HD-shaft may in fact actually be weaker than standard Jimny axles. It's like, "if we don't talk abot it, then maybe there's nothing to it".

I don't think that's fair. I for one would be very interested to know - but cannot accept a few people on line saying they believe it to be true as making it a fact. unfortunately internet forums are notorious for this - repeat an opinion often enough and it will soon be a fact.

TomDK wrote: I'm not saying that KAM diffs are useless or anything. But there must be a reason why ARB lockers are so popular, and KAM diffs still is considered a budget diff-locker. You get what you pay for.

I agree to an extent that you get what you pay for. If you buy a KAM in Australia - its more expensive than an ARB. What gives? is it that the Australian version of an ARB is 'budget' or that it doesnt have shipping and import duty added to the price? You decide!

TomDK wrote: And by the way. I really like the idea of the KAM locker, and have also considered them myself. But having read about this weakness of shafts made me reconsider :-)

So, there is some evidence - can you remember where?

The original Land Rover KAM shafts, when launched were very strong compared to everything else, but at the time there was almost nothing else. they did have an issue where the spline which went in to the diff would twist which jammed the locking action of the diff.
This was certainly a 'weakness' but only became so when alternatives became more common.
The current generation of KAM lockers do not need a long spline cut in the half shaft as it is incorporated in to the diff itself such that a standard shaft can be used.
Between a current KAM, GKN, Ashcroft shaft, there is very little to call it in terms of strength - and often comes down to personal preference.

Si

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2011 17:40 #24129 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Diff locker or Winch? Which one first
jonplace had a kam locker on his jimny see here

www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_ku...=8&id=3024&Itemid=75

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2011 17:50 #24131 by Nobby22

darthloachie wrote: jonplace had a kam locker on his jimny see here

www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_ku...=8&id=3024&Itemid=75

Yeah i have had a good look at this one. I will defo need help to fit that lot. :laugh: . I also like the way he has fitted his winch. Its similar to how i plan to do it.

Nobby

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds