BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Where is the starter motor is on a Jimny M13A!

• graham8622
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2011 09:19 #23589 by graham8622
Hi there,

Just need to know where the starter motor is located. I have looked all over the engine but cannot find it.

Thanks for your help
Graham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2011 09:24 #23593 by mlines
Suzuki stood back and looked at the engine and thought "Where is the most dirty, inaccessible place we can mount the Starter motor where it will get dunked when wading and then fail at the most inconvenient moment"

Therefore it is at the back of the engine, under the inlet manifold and only accessible from underneath, reaching up a full arms length feeling for the blinb bolt on the top whilst the dirt falls in your eyes.

Have fun.

You could also remove the inlet manifold, but thats just as hard.

martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• graham8622
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2011 09:35 #23594 by graham8622
Thanks! Sounds fun.

I have not idea what any of those other parts you said were but now I know to look from under the car.

Thanks for the quick reply!

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2011 13:55 #23603 by vitara_mad
its alot of fun to get the starter out on the m13a engine the first time i tryed to drop it out was when i replaced the clutch i thought i would clean the starter out while it was unbolted but after 30 mins of twisting it about to try get it to come out i gave up & left it alone. when the starter decided to give up all together i had no choice but to get it out & 10 mins later it was out i think i must have got lucky that time

the older jimny's with the g13b engine are so so easy to get starter off

More
13 Oct 2011 14:43 #23605 by maverick
the first time i had to remove my starter - i came close (very close) to taking the engine out!!

As Martin has described - Its one hell of a job, especially if you have short arms and/or BIG hands ... so expect to get dirt in the eyes, and lose some skin offa your hands/knuckles!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2011 17:28 #23620 by srcars
As above can be a PITA to get at. I can tell you the bottom bolt requires a 12mm socket and has with a earth strap attached. The top fixing is the real pain to get at, It is a nut and bolt 12mm bolt head with a 13mm nut. Once you get your fingers on them and work out the knack its not to bad.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2011 08:20 #23649 by vitara_mad

srcars wrote: As above can be a PITA to get at. I can tell you the bottom bolt requires a 12mm socket and has with a earth strap attached. The top fixing is the real pain to get at, It is a nut and bolt 12mm bolt head with a 13mm nut. Once you get your fingers on them and work out the knack its not to bad.

sounds like you describing the g13b ????

the starter bolts thread into the starter on the m13a & not hard to get bolts out its just getting starter out after the bolts are out thats the hard part on them

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2011 09:13 #23652 by srcars

vitara_mad wrote:

srcars wrote: As above can be a PITA to get at. I can tell you the bottom bolt requires a 12mm socket and has with a earth strap attached. The top fixing is the real pain to get at, It is a nut and bolt 12mm bolt head with a 13mm nut. Once you get your fingers on them and work out the knack its not to bad.

sounds like you describing the g13b ????

the starter bolts thread into the starter on the m13a & not hard to get bolts out its just getting starter out after the bolts are out thats the hard part on them

:blush: Opps, your correct, Forget my advise. I blame my age ;)

More
13 Feb 2024 14:43 #254259 by hansaplast26
I wanted to take mine out, but the bolts are tightened to the extreme ;-(. what are the torque specs for these two 14mm bolts that hold the starter motor ?

More
13 Feb 2024 16:35 #254262 by Roger Fairclough
Long long ago I was asked to remove the starter motor from a Renault 16. First instruction in the manual.

Take the engine out.

I managed to do it without removing the engine.

It took me 71/2 hours.

Roger

More
14 Feb 2024 07:36 #254290 by yakuza

Suzuki stood back and looked at the engine and thought "Where is the most dirty, inaccessible place we can mount the Starter motor where it will get dunked when wading and then fail at the most inconvenient moment"

Therefore it is at the back of the engine, under the inlet manifold and only accessible from underneath, reaching up a full arms length feeling for the blinb bolt on the top whilst the dirt falls in your eyes.

Have fun.

You could also remove the inlet manifold, but thats just as hard.

martin
I think it is easier to remove the intake.
That is mostly just work and not so much pain.
Better to take the 40 minutes of intake plugs and bolts and brackets and save an hour or two of fiddling with it in the way of everything.
Also for changing the clutch or swapping the engine.
I tried to insert my new engine with everything on it but no, half way in I just gave in and removed the intake again so i could more easily access the bolts at the starter and around the gearbox/engine flange.

But note that I do not have a lift and work mostly down the bonnet or lying on the floor.
If you have a lift and can stand under the car it might be less time to access from below.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2024 11:19 #254301 by rogerzilla
If you have the intake off, you might as well do the thermostat.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds