BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine won't start after engine swap G13BB

More
09 Aug 2011 14:54 #20114 by j999pre
Hi all,

This is my first plea for help.

I bought a 2003 soft top Jimny O2 with a seized engine.

I struggled to find an engine from a soft top so found a low mileage G13BB from a hard top. I swapped the lower inner crank pulley for the one that came off the seized engine as this had the chop wheel for the crank sensor on the soft top model. I swapped the sump and used this as a guide to drill a 18mm hole for the crank sensor and a 6mm thread next to it to hold it.

Everything swapped over fine but it stumbles when trying to start. I have tried the complete manifolds from both engines and it did the same and also tried 3 PCV valves and 2 cam sensors. The only thing I haven't got a spare of is the crank sensor. I can get the car to start sometimes but it will only run at high revs. At low revs it chugs for a bit as if its not on all cyclinders and then dies and won't start.

Any ideas what I should check next? Could the timimg have jumped a tooth? Also is the soft top jimny OBD1 or 2.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I just hope the engine is compatible and I've not wasted my time!

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sprocket
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2011 17:45 #20116 by Sprocket
Replied by Sprocket on topic Re: Engine won't start after engine swap G13BB
Hi

The symptoms you've described sound very like a problem I had with a Mk 1 golf a few years ago. I final worked out that I stupidly got the cam belt one tooth out. No real idea if this is the same problem but it's something that might be worth a quick check, if you've nothing else to try.

More
09 Aug 2011 18:11 #20118 by j999pre
Thanks. I was thinking that the belt may have jumped. I'll whip the rad out tomorrow and have a look at the timing.

Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
11 Aug 2011 18:16 #20205 by j999pre
Progress :D

I checked the timing and everyting is spot on.

So I thought I'd look at the CMP again. I had tried 2 of these one from the old engine and one from the new. So I got to thinking about what the CMP reads? When I installed the CKP I had to install the cambelt gear that came off the soft top engine complete with all its notches.

I took the camshaft out of the dead engine and had a look at the end that the CMP reads. This had just 2 teeth. So I took the CMP out of the new engine and had a look and there are considerably more!

My conclusion is that the CMP would have been reporting all sorts of positions to the ECU that it wasn't looking for. Why it ran at high revs I don't know?
Solution.
1 Install old camshaft from soft top engine. Can't its badly scored.
2 Try and find a replacement cam. Suggestions anyone?
3 Grind off teeth that are not required? What do we think?

Grey pick up Jimny

More
12 Aug 2011 06:44 #20225 by rusty spanner
Hi got the same thing only start when it's cold as well ???? Remove injector plug one at a time and you might find it runs the same if it dos this would say you lost the eath single from the ecu in short new ecu

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds