BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Changed cam sensor - still cutting out, SORTED!!!

• freeduc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2011 16:50 - 04 Aug 2011 06:32 #19852 by freeduc
Hello!

My car is high milage (185000) and have after a few fixes one error left. While cruising at very light load above 1800-ish rpm, the engine gets a quick hickup, check engine light flashes then it continues until the same happens again or you apply just a tad more throttle, then no problem. No problem engine braking either and the engine never dies. In an earlier post I told you about the MAP-sensorfix, I have cleaned the EGR + pipe, the previous owner changed the cam sensor (1998 model, one sensor only). Since the MAP-hose + etc showed such an improvement and made the car drivable, I thought this should be possible to sort out as well. But I am running out of ideas + have surfed the all forums I can find... any ideas someone?

//Fredrik
Last edit: 04 Aug 2011 06:32 by freeduc. Reason: Solved the problem!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zaine
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2011 10:24 #19882 by zaine
id find a friendly owner close to you and see if you can borrow the cam and crank sensors

• freeduc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2011 14:25 #19892 by freeduc
On this car, there is only a cam sensor, which has recently been changed by the previous owner. Also, the error does not seem to be as severe as people report when these go wrong. The car never dies and do not have to cool off or anything. More as a hickup that is repeated over and over again when under very light load, almost off throttle... More ideas?

//Fredrik

More
03 Aug 2011 15:24 #19899 by facade
Coil pack?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• freeduc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2011 16:08 #19903 by freeduc
I've thought about that, but it should be other situations affected by that. I am sending off my injectors for cleaning as the plugs were a bit too white + it takes a few turns too many before the engine starts - not that I would call it hard to start or anything, it just doesn't start as a new car. Maybe it shouldn't after 185000miles, but I've never sent injectors for cleaning before so I will test this. I will let you know what the effects are!

Cheers! //F

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2011 16:51 #19906 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Changed cam sensor - still cutting out (sort of)

freeduc wrote: On this car, there is only a cam sensor, which has recently been changed by the previous owner......//Fredrik

Just because the previous owner changed it doesn't mean it's not faulty. My Jimny had the engine management light on when I bought it, and it turned out to be the lamda sensor. The last owner had changed it for a cheap pattern part. Similarly our boiler broke down two years ago and needed a new circuit board. A year later it broke down again and the engineers changed just about everything to try to fix it, but in the end it turned out to be the circuit board that had failed again.

• freeduc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2011 17:56 #19911 by freeduc
Fair enough, but the remaining error is not as severe as when the cam sensor is faulty, or so I am interpreting what I'm reading at least. I'll try the injectors and will report from there! //F

• freeduc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 06:39 #19928 by freeduc
Ok, I said I would send off the injectors for cleaning but I bought a refurbished set on fleabay instead. That left me with my old injectors to try anything on - I had them soaking in engine cleaner over night, then cleaned them and let them dry. Put them back in the car, engine light is on but it starts and runs. Test driving is not snatchy anymore when under light load, but the engine hesitates when accelerating from low revs, hmmmm... Drove a bit further and remembered I had disconnected the MAPsensor to get to the fuel rail bolts! Put it back on, and engine light does not come on and everything works as it is supposed to!!! Ok, 93 pounds on the extra injectors, but those may be even better making it quicker to start, I don't know. I'm just happy right now! B)

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 10:41 #19941 by Keefe
Nice one, happy for you.

Nice to know of other things to check when these Jims start playing up.

K :)

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds