BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Please Help Me, Huge Power Loss

• TomEnglish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2011 03:11 #19740 by TomEnglish
Please Help Me, Huge Power Loss was created by TomEnglish
Hello All,
Struggling the diagnose this problem. Recently I have experianced a loss of power with my 1999 Jimny G13BB. This is noticeable over the entire rev range and all gears, but is more pronunced at highway speeds. I cannnot maintain 100km/h or even 80km/h when going up a gentle gradient on the motorway. Initally, I thought this would be the catayltic converter so I cleaned this out to see if it help but no change. I also changed the Spark Plugs and Air Filter but still no difference. The engine does not idle rough nor miss a beat at any revs or gear, it simply doesnt seem to have the power anymore. Still revs to its normal limit too. I would greatly appreicate any suggestions on this issue, as I am begining to run out of ideas. Thanks in advance, Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2011 05:26 #19744 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Please Help Me, Huge Power Loss
Possibly a fuel starvation problem. Are your injectors clean? Can you rev the engine up to 6,000 rpm? All sensors still connected? Did you check the gap on the new spark plugs?

Do you have a compression gauge? Are there any deposits on the plugs? Have you checked the ECU for diagnostics fault?

Is your clutch slipping? Easily checked with handbrake on and engine in gear, release clutch and see if it stalls promptly.

You haven't done anything you should tell us like fit 33" tyres? :p

• Sandez
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2011 08:46 #19755 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Please Help Me, Huge Power Loss
My first thoughts would be fuel starvation. You may have had a bad batch of fuel, or let the tank run dry? I would check the fuel pump and filter.

Also, since its free and easy, check if you got any brake drag.

More
31 Jul 2011 10:33 #19758 by facade
This is usually caused by a blocked catalytic converter.
How did you clean yours?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• TomEnglish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2011 10:58 #19760 by TomEnglish
Replied by TomEnglish on topic Re: Please Help Me, Huge Power Loss
Thanks a ton for the fast replies.
I haven’t physically checked the injectors yet, but will do this tomorrow. All the sensors seem to be still connected. I checked the gap on all the spark plugs as I installed them so I think that should be right.

Will see if I can borrow a compression gauge of a mate of mine to check that out, the old plugs didn’t seem to have any build up.

Going to put her in to get the ECU diagnostic done as soon as I can this week, but was trying to rule out all the simple or common problems first.

Clutch doesn’t slip at all, and if I had 33” inch tyres the world would be a better place haha, I might even put up with a little bit of power loss.

Truthfully, in ‘cleaning’ the catalytic converter I simply removed it completely from inside the exhaust just because I thought that would be the quick fix for it. But cleaning it that way works wonders for freeing the flow up haha.

Has anyone had any experience with checking the fuel pump and filter before?

• TomEnglish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2011 04:55 #19818 by TomEnglish
Replied by TomEnglish on topic Re: Please Help Me, Huge Power Loss
Well turns out it was the crank shaft, the mechanic advised me that I should replace the whole engine at this point :( so I guess thats the holiday project now. Has anyone ever done a petrol to diesel K9K conversion?

More
02 Aug 2011 05:44 #19820 by facade
What on earth is wrong with the crankshaft that produces a power loss and no other problems?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
02 Aug 2011 06:05 - 02 Aug 2011 06:06 #19822 by mlines
Crankshaft or crankshaft sensor???

Surely the only failure mode for a crankshaft is:

(a) broken = won't run at all
(b) badly worn = would sound like a bag of hammers but could even smooth out at higher revs.

If its the sensor then you can replace it (albeit at Suzuki "value" pricing)

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 02 Aug 2011 06:06 by mlines.

• chechan rebel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 07:09 - 04 Aug 2011 07:10 #19933 by chechan rebel
Replied by chechan rebel on topic Re: Please Help Me, Huge Power Loss

ZookFastback wrote: Possibly a fuel starvation problem. Are your injectors clean? Can you rev the engine up to 6,000 rpm? All sensors still connected? Did you check the gap on the new spark plugs?

Do you have a compression gauge? Are there any deposits on the plugs? Have you checked the ECU for diagnostics fault?

Is your clutch slipping? Easily checked with handbrake on and engine in gear, release clutch and see if it stalls promptly.

You haven't done anything you should tell us like fit 33" tyres? :p

Lmao....................was gunna say sounds like me...............but i fitted 30" BFG's.
My only problem is big hills........
Last edit: 04 Aug 2011 07:10 by chechan rebel.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds