BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

H.I.D conversion

• ZookFastback
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2011 08:47 #19336 by ZookFastback
H.I.D conversion was created by ZookFastback
H.I.D conversion
Has anyone done a H.I.D conversion with the dipping hid kits where the light moves back and forward depending on high/low chosen? Are they ok with Polycarbonate lenses?

Power consumption is only 35 watts, a big energy saving over the 55/60 watts.

The price is quite reasonable @ $112 full kit including ballasts etc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2011 09:17 #19338 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: H.I.D conversion
Yes. Works a treat. You need bi-H4 bulbs, ballasts and you also get a little box which picks up the lo/hi beam signal and triggers the moving coil of the bulbs. Don't get bulbs higher than 6000o K, they suck. What do you mean by polycarbonate lenses, the plastic of the headlamps itself ?

• ZookFastback
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2011 10:24 #19342 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: H.I.D conversion
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYep, the Jimny lens is Polycarbonate. This is what I am thinking of fitting...

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2011 10:31 #19343 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: H.I.D conversion
The lens material isn't that important, but it's important if it's clear or "striped" (don't know how to put it otherwise). The short idea is that on some headlights it works just fine, on others the light is dispersed around making it very annoying for oncoming traffic. The Jimny headlamps are quite ok with HID bulbs; you might want to find a slim ballast kit though, there isn't too much space behind the headlamps.

More
24 Jul 2011 11:43 - 24 Jul 2011 12:24 #19433 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: H.I.D conversion
I think what the OP means is that HID lamps produce a significant amount of UV, enough to require shielding around the "bulb"
This UV will destroy polycarbonate in no time.

A quality lamp will be shielded, an eBay special?????????

Obviously this guy wants you to buy his kit but www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/H...ons/conversions.html is worth reading.

I hate HID lamps. They are never adjusted right, and make my job of avoiding the oncoming car/parked cars/crazy pedestrians dressed all in black/reckless cyclists in the november rain about 1000 times harder than it would be if everybody used sidelights around town.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 24 Jul 2011 12:24 by facade.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2011 11:31 #19577 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: H.I.D conversion
After market HID lamps will cause your car to fail its MOT after Jan 1st 2012... thats what i've heard

This along with front tinted windows

More
31 Jul 2011 07:57 - 31 Jul 2011 08:00 #19754 by auchenblae
Replied by auchenblae on topic Re: H.I.D conversion
The only change to the MOT in 2012 re headlamps is that if the main beam warning lamp on the dash does not illuminate when the headlamps are on main beam and does not go off when on dip beams are illuminated, the car will fail it's MOT.

For a new car to pass EU regs with HID headlamps, the car must have auto leveling to a particular spec and the headlamps again are to a particular spec.

UK type approval is no longer in place so there are no UK regs to make HID lamps illegal. A Department of Transport spokesperson has confimed this in a letter reproduced on another forum.

As long as the

Main beam warning light works re on and off.
The headlamps work and the aim and beam shape pass the test when viewed in the beam tester that the MOT VOSA regs require, your car will pass the MOT.

eddie

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07
Last edit: 31 Jul 2011 08:00 by auchenblae. Reason: spelling

More
31 Jul 2011 10:59 #19761 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: H.I.D conversion

auchenblae wrote: As long as the

The headlamps work and the aim and beam shape pass the test when viewed in the beam tester that the MOT VOSA regs require, your car will pass the MOT.

I think the relevant part of the regs is part (c) below from directive 2010/48/EU

4.1.4. Compliance with requirements
Visual inspection and by operation.
(a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements ( a ).
(b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour.
(c) Light source and lamp not compatible

The point is HID conversions should not pass the beam shape test.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
31 Jul 2011 12:05 #19763 by auchenblae
Replied by auchenblae on topic Re: H.I.D conversion

facade wrote: The point is HID conversions should not pass the beam shape test.

My 06 Impressa has standard fit HID headlamps with headlight washers and self leveling and has passed two MOT as it should have.

The Department of Transport has said it has no plans to outlaw HID conversions.

There is no reason why a well engineered HID conversion will fail the beam shape test. Why should they not pass the beam shape test?

OTOH there is no proof that the available kits on sale will pass the MOT test.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds