BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Swivel Joint

More
22 Jul 2011 08:13 #19333 by 1390_taz
Swivel Joint was created by 1390_taz
Hi Folks i have a few Questions for the technical minded people (Q1) i have oil/grease leaking from the swivel joint on my 2005 Jimny how can i pin point the cause & can the repair be done by a home mechanic
(Q2) i have a set of 215 R15 Branco Goodrider tyres on steel modulal wheels on which i would like to take of and put onto my standard 5 spoke alloys is this a good idea or are they best left on the steel modulal :S
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2011 08:26 - 22 Jul 2011 08:28 #19334 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Swivel Joint
Hi there,

The first suspect is the kingpin bearings, the second suspect is the wheel bearing.

I would order kingpin bearings with an axle tube oil seal from the BigJimny shop, download a guide from BigJimny's How To Guides, print it off, take it to the workshop with the car and the right tools and set to it!

If that doesn't solve it, order a new wheel bearing and wheel bearing nut removal tool from the BigJimny shop, download a guide from the BigJimny How To Guides, print it off, whip off the hub, take it to someone with a good press, have them push the old bearing out and the new one in and fitting if the hub is the reverse of removal but the bearing nut needs to be done up rather tight!

If neither of those fix it, come back here and ask!

On the wheel front, it's personal choice really - I would stick with steels as off road if you dink a steel you can hammer it back into shape mostly, which will get you by, if you dink an alloy, it will take a huge lump out of it. This is mainly the case where rocks are present, in just mud it's less of an issue, but most mud contains some rocks.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 22 Jul 2011 08:28 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds