BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

weird electrical problem

• chechan rebel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2011 08:07 #18771 by chechan rebel
weird electrical problem was created by chechan rebel
I thought i had a coil pack problem, changed 1 an no different. I turn power steering ilde changes, central locking..................turn heater on 2 ildle drop then normal, turn heater back to 1 an idle drop again. Do i have a battery problem? when i try to run my 9,500 pound winch engine stalls..........Anybody got ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ex_scamper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2011 08:28 #18772 by ex_scamper
Replied by ex_scamper on topic Re: weird electrical problem
The first thing I would check is earthing, both from the battery to the body and from the engine to the chassis, if a strap is fitted. In my experience, electrical faults that can only otherwise be explained by demonic possession are down to poor earths.

More
10 Jul 2011 09:18 #18773 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: weird electrical problem
Sounds perfectly normal to me :whistle:

The idle will change when you turn the steering or switch on a large load, then the idle control kicks in to bring it back.

I would expect a 9500lb winch to pull enough current to reduce the battery voltage considerably, enough to kill the ignition.

Make sure the winch is wired direct to the slave battery, or direct to the uprated starting battery.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
10 Jul 2011 19:36 #18792 by mcjimny
Sounds just like mine, if its drawing a lot of current ie lights, heater, rear screen etc. it does labour a bit perfectly normal. Its drawing a lot of current. Lots of short journeys don't help either.

Running the winch will be taking more out than the alternator can replace, you'll need twin batteries i'd guess and maybe a beefier alternator. A deeper cycling battery may help like an optima or leisure battery in the short term.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• chechan rebel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2011 22:19 #18800 by chechan rebel
Replied by chechan rebel on topic Re: weird electrical problem
Yeah it still has stock little battery, dont know how old either. Might have to get bigger battery, or dual smalls.........

More
11 Jul 2011 09:03 #18804 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: weird electrical problem
If you don't do competitions using the winch, Optima do a yellow top battery that would probably be fine, and fit in the same space as the original battery. It has a cca of 450 which should be alright for most winches.
Have a look at this
www.tayna.co.uk/Optima-Yellow-Top-Batteries-S115-1.html

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• chechan rebel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2011 06:17 - 14 Jul 2011 10:42 #18934 by chechan rebel
Ok got winch going...............for some reason you cant use isolator switch. I checked earths, i have put new plugs in, new leads, also cleaned the little plastic thing you can only blow thru 1 way an shake it an get the rattle from today but still does same shit.................but winch works.......I checked out yellow top battery i think ile buy one for bit o extra grunt. Going up mountain this weekend for a serious play in the snow. :woohoo:
Last edit: 14 Jul 2011 10:42 by chechan rebel.

• chechan rebel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2011 22:04 #19513 by chechan rebel
Ended up putting new yellow top battery, still no change. Went to auto electrician yesterday had things tested to be told that its all normal.............

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds