BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Sudden loss of power

• FIRSTJIMNY
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 16:00 #17380 by FIRSTJIMNY
Sudden loss of power was created by FIRSTJIMNY
Just recently my Jimny will lose power while I am driving. At first there is a small shuttter then the tach needle begins to jump all around. It will spit and sputter til it dies. Sometimes sounds like it is backfiring.
Happened yesterday when I was far from home. Only way to get it to keep going is when it starts acting up is to slip it into N and turn off the key and coast. I coast as far as possible and then restart it while rolling.
It fires up and I'm able to go again. Sometimes a long way and sometimes just a short distance. I've checked for bad gas. Changed the plugs, and added different treatments to clean fuel and fuel system and the like. I'm wondering if some of the different engine sensors or maybe the fuel filter is clogged. Is the fuel filter on a 2001 in the tank or somewhere else? Trying everything I can think of before going to the service. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2011 16:49 #17382 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Sudden loss of power
Cam or crank sensor, more likely cam.
You should get the fault codes read, or you could just swap one or both of them, but they are not cheap, but neither is getting the codes read.

If you have a soft top jimny, there is a way to make the engine management light flash out the codes. Check out rhinopower.org for details.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds