BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Corroded swivel balls - cure or replace axle case?

• Collins
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2011 18:22 #17345 by Collins
Hi,

Another question.

Does anyone know of a cure for corroded swivel balls? Does anyone hard chrome them?

If not, does anyone know where I can get a front axle casing at a reasonable price - is it a Suzuki only part?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2011 18:34 #17348 by facade
I'm just doing mine.

Remove the swivel housings

I then used a 60 grit flapwheel in the drill and loads of emery cloth to remove all the rust.
This has left a fair bit of pitting, and likely some flat areas ;)

I painted them with Aldi shiny black metal paint (their version of smoothrite: good stuff I paint exhausts with it :) )

Now I have to wait a week or so for it to dry hard, but the new bearings won't arrive 'till next week anyway.

They are only painted in the first place :ohmy:

There are a few axles on ebay from time to time where the paint looks good, but you can't tell if they are bent from the crash that wrote the car off.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Collins
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2011 18:40 #17349 by Collins
Thank you - good luck with it. I think mine are a bit far gone for that and will just keep wrecking seals. They've been smoothed and are still pitted so it won't last long. Would be interested to know how long the paint job lasts.

More
04 Jun 2011 18:49 #17350 by facade
I did hear of someone who removed all the rust and then filled the pitting with body filler, I did think of filling mine with metal loaded epoxy but I'm hopeful the paint has done some smoothing.

If yours are that bad then a newish axle housing is required. The ball ends are welded not bolted like a Landrover.

You see them on EBay minus the Diff and driveshafts quite often.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Collins
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 07:02 #17361 by Collins
Thanks for that. I'll have look on Ebay. I know about the welded rather than bolted balls. Given my recent experiences (see my other post about failed panhard rod eye), my next car may well be a Landrover!

More
05 Jun 2011 20:30 #17396 by kirkynut
They will always rust and don't need to be chrome. They stop muck getting in not anything getting out and the rubber seal will prevent too much rust building up if the car is used.

If bad, strip it down and rub over with fine emery after a go with the wire brush.

Then re-build and if using in wet conditions, smear a little waterproof grease over them before, but not in dusty or sandy conditions as its not needed and grit will stick to the grease shredding the seals.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Jun 2011 20:39 #17398 by facade
Mine were as rusty as old iron: I can only do 3000 miles a year, and about 1500 of them are on wet salty gritty roads.

When I stripped them down the seals looked fine, but the bottom bearing on both sides was solid with rust from the water that must have got through the seals.

I'm hoping the smoothrite will set hard enough to not scrape off first time I go lock to lock :whistle:

More
06 Jun 2011 07:14 #17406 by kirkynut
Use waterproof grease on the bearings and swivels. Martin sells some.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2011 13:17 #17410 by Rockwatt
Strip the axle, high pressure clean then take it to be powder coated! Pack the seals with silicone grease on reassembly.
Should see you good for a few years and cheeper than a new axle.
The pre shot blasting will get rid of the corrosion and the powder will fill the pits to a silky smooth finish.

• Collins
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2011 14:59 #17472 by Collins
After finding out the price of an axle casing today that is pretty much what I've settled on - thanks!

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds