BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rocklobster transfer box in a VVT

More
22 Feb 2011 08:25 #11993 by Obarno
I've just bought a 57 plate fitted with a rocklobster t box. Therefore the push buttons for t box are not needed. However the lights on the dashboard for the 4wd and low range are permanently on regardless of what you do with the push buttons. The wiring from the sammi box is unconnected. Is there a way of using the switch wire on the sammi box to operate the 4wd light on the dash? There are 3 plugs unconnected - one multiway presumably for the engagement of the 4wd and low range and 2 others each with only a pair of wires. Presumably the light activation. I haven't tried experimenting yet but wondered if anyone else has.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2011 08:32 #11994 by mlines
I don't have the VVT diagrams with me at work but I do have them at home. I would guess that, if they have not been disconnected, the switches on the dashboard connect to the 4WD controller under the dash by the drivers right knee. This module then takes the inputs from the transfer box and hubs, telling the controller what state the 4WD is in.

You will probably have two choices.

1. Remove the controller and wiring from the circuit and get the transfer box to light the lamps directly. The switch in the transfer box "grounds" the circuit when in 4WD so just run a +ve through the lamp to the transfer box.

2. Wire the transfer box up to the existing controller. I would guess that it is pretty much the same, possibly needing a fake feed to the 4WD controller to "confirm" that the electric motor in the transfer box you no longer have has functioned correctly.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Feb 2011 12:07 #12001 by Obarno
Thanks Martin - that's really good advice - I shall have a play with it. If you have any more info on your circuit diagram that too could be useful.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
22 Feb 2011 15:07 #12008 by mlines
I have now managed to look at the circuit diagrams. Its not quite as simple as I described as there is a new, additional unit called the Transfer Controller added into the equation.

I also do not have VVT Jimny experience to know what should be lit and when.

The diagram appears to show 4WD and 4WD-L lights in the dashboard itself (with the speedo etc.) - is this correct?

These are fed with a live feed and "grounded" by the controller. The wires needed are the RED/White and RED/Blue ones going to connecter E147 on the Transfer Controller - this also appears to be under the dashboard near the drivers right knee together with the 4WD controller.

It appears ok just to remove these wires and wire them into the SJ Transfer box as the manual suggests that "grounding" the wires is a test for the bulbs anyway.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Feb 2011 17:55 #12016 by Obarno
Hi Martin - thank you very much for that. You're right there are 2 lights on the dashboard one for 4wd and one for low range. There are 2 boxes side by side under the dash with the make 'Aisin' on them and I've found the 2 wires so will try grounding them and see what happens.

More
23 Feb 2011 17:07 #12049 by Obarno
Hi Martin (again!) - I had a go at it today and it works fine. The red/blue is for the 4wd light and the red/white for low range. I wired it up to the original transfer box switch without any problem with one wire to earth and the other to the red/blue wire.

Thanks for your help.

• zukenutter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 21:19 #34852 by zukenutter
Replied by zukenutter on topic Re: Rocklobster transfer box in a VVT
Interesting! Great info and a worthy question.
When it stops raining I'll try this on mine as I've been annoyed by these flashing lights for almost a year now :(

• zukenutter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 05:12 - 05 Mar 2012 05:15 #34874 by zukenutter

Obarno wrote: Hi Martin (again!) - I had a go at it today and it works fine. The red/blue is for the 4wd light and the red/white for low range. I wired it up to the original transfer box switch without any problem with one wire to earth and the other to the red/blue wire.

Thanks for your help.

Any pics, tried this today but still flashing. The 4WD switch may not be working or I've misunderstood. Would be cool to see what you've done.

Also, are you running the auto hubs or SJ manual hubs?
Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 05:15 by zukenutter.

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 06:59 #34878 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: Rocklobster transfer box in a VVT

zukenutter wrote:

Obarno wrote: Hi Martin (again!) - I had a go at it today and it works fine. The red/blue is for the 4wd light and the red/white for low range. I wired it up to the original transfer box switch without any problem with one wire to earth and the other to the red/blue wire.

Thanks for your help.

Any pics, tried this today but still flashing. The 4WD switch may not be working or I've misunderstood. Would be cool to see what you've done.

Also, are you running the auto hubs or SJ manual hubs?

I tried it to, still flashing :(

More
05 Mar 2012 10:30 - 05 Mar 2012 10:31 #34899 by Obarno
I've got manual hubs so not worried about the transfer box activating the auto hubs. I'm confused by your lights still flashing as when you cut the red/blue light it is the earth for the dashboard light (4wd) so the circuit would be incomplete. The switched wire from the transfer box switch (which is in effect an earth) goes onto the cut part of the red/blue that disappears into the loom, not the part that goes into the controller.

If you still have auto hubs I'm not sure what you would need to do to keep them working, but I'm also sure that Martin would!

Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 10:31 by Obarno.

• zukenutter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 11:02 #34903 by zukenutter
I have manual hubs so no problem there.
I'm a bit unsure whether you mean you've cut the wire under the dash or under the car.

I've assumed that you mean under car, I've found the red/blue wire, so do I join that wire to one of the two wires coming from the switch on the box? Does the second wire go to earth?

Appreciate you help.

More
05 Mar 2012 11:11 #34905 by Obarno
No, I meant under the dash, where the yellow plug goes into the 4wd controller box. Its to the right of the steering column and mounted up high. I ran a completely new wire down to the switch on the transfer box and an earth wire to the other side of the switch.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds