BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

jackin points and tools

More
16 Jan 2011 10:41 #9748 by supergaz
If only i could use axle stands on the axles, i'm planning on dropping them to replace my springs next!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2011 12:05 #9752 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: jackin points and tools
Halfords 2.25tonne black quicklift jack great value at the moment reduced from 80 quid to 34.99. Good lift height too!

More
17 Jan 2011 07:51 #9850 by kirkynut

Smoggy wrote: Halfords 2.25tonne black quicklift jack great value at the moment reduced from 80 quid to 34.99. Good lift height too!

That's the one. Snap it up now!

I think I had to jack it up on the chassis on one side, remove that wheel, lower the chassis onto an axle stand and repeat the other side.

Otherwise it sits chassis on axle stands with wheels still on the ground so you can't get them off or lower the axle enough to get the springs out.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2011 19:15 #10000 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: jackin points and tools
For jacking up when out laning I use the standard jack and carry a 4"x4" block of wood to put it on !!!

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2011 19:55 #10003 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: jackin points and tools

Smoggy wrote: Halfords 2.25tonne black quicklift jack great value at the moment reduced from 80 quid to 34.99. Good lift height too!

Thats the one i mentioned, bought it! Decent height aswell!

More
19 Jan 2011 19:56 - 19 Jan 2011 19:57 #10004 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: jackin points and tools

kirkynut wrote:
I think I had to jack it up on the chassis on one side, remove that wheel, lower the chassis onto an axle stand and repeat the other side.

Otherwise it sits chassis on axle stands with wheels still on the ground so you can't get them off or lower the axle enough to get the springs out.

Kirkynut

Jack the axle up as high as you can, then block the chassis up, remove wheels, lower axle and remove, unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 19 Jan 2011 19:57 by facade.

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2011 20:44 #10008 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: jackin points and tools
i use blocks under a trolley jack under the trail arms...... then axel stands under the chassis :)
hope this helps :)

More
18 Sep 2023 17:29 - 18 Sep 2023 17:38 #250877 by Buzz
Replied by Buzz on topic Re: jackin points and tools
Reviving an old thread but:
I'm going to replace a broken front spring on a Jimny later this week so planned on lifting front up and putting jack stands on frame rails somewhere then lowering the front axle down to get the spring out.
Ideally I'd like to lift it up level and put both left and right stands in together rather than do it one side at a time - just prefer not to be jacking the car out of level on one stand already.
Do you think it's ok to jack off the front axle in the middle next to the diff on the weld? Just concerned about weight of engine.
Anybody do this or you think I'm better lifting it one side at a time?
Cheers
Buzz

PS workshop manual says "put jack against the centre portion of the front axle housing" but the picture shows the jack on the diff which is obviously not the centre.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2023 17:38 by Buzz.

More
18 Sep 2023 17:51 #250879 by jackonlyjack
I use 2 trolley Jack's under radius arms 
Also now I have a different front chassis cross member so can use a hi-lift/farm Jack in middle 
Just go up in incremental with the stands to avoid to much lean 
I find it easier to use a ratchet strap to get panhard rod back into position 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzz

More
19 Sep 2023 09:41 #250888 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re: jackin points and tools
I allways jack it up under the axles. Under the diff in the rear and at the side of the diff on the weld in the front. Using rubber on the jack to avoid it slipping, and never go under there without axle stands under axles or chassi.
For the front axle removal or service i think to place it only on the rails aft of the radius arms, if they have to come off, is bit too far back for my liking so usually secure it with an extra axle stand in the front somerwheere before daring to go under it. Mine has no added weight and what works for me, may not work for you so allways take due care and please use my hints at your own discretion and fitting for your own jack and stands.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
20 Sep 2023 06:16 #250907 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re: jackin points and tools
The engine weighs no more than an average man. The axle can take the weight just fine.

More
20 Sep 2023 13:02 #250912 by Buzz
Replied by Buzz on topic Re: jackin points and tools
Thanks for the replies all.
I did the job today (before reading recent replies - duh) so jacked it under the front diff. Obviously lifted on the skew but just jacked it high enough to get stands under frame rails both sides behind trailing arms and was careful lowering onto them.
I agree that's a bit far back for the stands but front wheels were just off the ground with jacks set quite high, so all good.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds