BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Manual steering alignment

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 May 2024 19:47 #256041 by Lambert
Whatcha. Tomorrow Spare Jimny is going in for an alignment as it's pulling the outside corner of the passenger tyre to bits. I'm half reliably informed that mother smote it against a pot hole. At speed. Anyway it's going to my preferred tyre place this time but its got me thinking given the simplicity of the alignment on the jimny and the lack of rear adjustment does it make sense to look at buying one of those tape measure tools that bolt onto the wheel flanges and give you the clearance to measure the relative length in front and behind the axle to determine toe as a linear measure. They're usually two large flat plates with notches to support the 2 tape measures. It's just that given the state of the roads this is likely not the last time I might need to check the wheels are still pointing in the same direction. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 May 2024 19:51 #256042 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Manual steering alignment
DaisyInner 2 Pcs Wheel Toe Alignment Tool Plate Automotive Wheel Alignment Provides Accurate Wheel Alignment Measurements Tool Toe Plates Fast Accurate Measurements for Car Truck SUV Vehicle (Silver) amzn.eu/d/hv8ymx5

This sort of thing. 

More
22 May 2024 01:26 #256043 by Hughes
Replied by Hughes on topic Manual steering alignment
Absolutely. Literally the only "adjustable" thing for the alignment is the tierods.

I say "adjustable" as I have straightened rear axles for a customer of ours who has built a competition style Disco1. He came down hard on the axle housing / diff pumpkin and managed to bend it slightly. As he also uses it for touring, and his tyres are expensive, he wanted it straight again. Chains, a hydraulic press and heat bought it back to spec. We've since converted nissan patrol axles for it.

So if its more than just a tierod adjustment on a jimny its not something your average alignment shop could fix anyway, but at least they will tell you how far off it is.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 May 2024 03:27 #256044 by Lambert
Yeah it only doing it to the front passenger side is slightly worrying as there is no independent action to each wheel. I'll see what is said later.

More
22 May 2024 05:54 #256045 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Manual steering alignment
Never seen those brackets before, but you could easily make some up with a piece of angle iron or ally. I bet some old dexion shelving stuff would be ideal?

More
22 May 2024 06:58 #256046 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Manual steering alignment
I did "alignment" on my SJ myself after it went from 195-80-15 to 325-60-15 tyres. This car was a bit lifted so access was easy,
I painted a part of the tyre thread white.
I took a piece of board/plank and put two nails thru it spaced apart so i could make marks in the white paint at the rear of the front tyres.
Then rolled the car fwd to see how much toe-in there was as the distance between the marks changed, and adjusted so i got approx 2 degrees of toe-in.
Calculated this from the top of my head and a drawing and basic school geometry.
Made my wobble situation much better, and car felt good to drive after.

I dont remember where I got the tip or the figure from then..

Of course I can not recommend this procedure to anyone as there are way too many ways to mess it up like this :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 May 2024 08:34 #256047 by Lambert

Never seen those brackets before, but you could easily make some up with a piece of angle iron or ally. I bet some old dexion shelving stuff would be ideal?

Yes I suppose I could but then I wouldn't have another shiny new thing to play with!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 May 2024 05:32 #256054 by Lambert
Well it seems to be a teachable moment. Spare Jimny is in need of a new track rod end apparently. So it would appear that having the facility to assess and then coarsely adjust the tracking at home and then send it in for laser adjustment with everything freed off is the future. I suspect that had I found a stuck thread having the time to take it off the car and work it on bench could have saved the new joint. Still it is what it is and while I don't like it paying for someone else's time it's not like someone has been hurt as a result of ignoring the issue.

More
23 May 2024 08:56 - 23 May 2024 08:58 #256055 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Manual steering alignment
If you are looking for toys......(no idea if this is any good)

www.trackace.co.uk/

Reading the article, he is at least honest about its limitations

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 23 May 2024 08:58 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
23 May 2024 14:20 #256057 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Manual steering alignment

Well it seems to be a teachable moment. Spare Jimny is in need of a new track rod end apparently. So it would appear that having the facility to assess and then coarsely adjust the tracking at home and then send it in for laser adjustment with everything freed off is the future. 

Generally speaking this can be done by counting the number of turns - loosen the lock nut and count the number of turns required to remove the rod end from the tie-rod, and then screw the replacement rod end in the same number of turns - you'll get it close enough that you can drive to the alignment center without difficulty.

Even when toe is the only adjustment possible, having a four wheel alignment check done allows you to detect worn or damaged suspension components.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 May 2024 16:40 #256059 by Lambert
Well it's going to be tomorrow now. Apparently they sent the wrong tre this morning and can't get a left hand one till tomorrow. And somehow it's needing a new lock nut too. At least I'm being looked after by the garage. And to be fair the last time I had to do this to my previous jimny it ended up with a completely new rod assembly so one tre and nut is winning?

As for doing things the most primitive way, that's not my preferred path, I aspire to a properly equipped building with ramps and the tool truck on speed dial . And yes I am aware that I could have built a unit with what I have spent on tools thus far but TOOL GOBLIN LIKE SHINY!!! Ooh I need that on a shirt!

More
24 May 2024 18:59 #256075 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Manual steering alignment
The trackace looks good for the money.

I still use an ancient optical gauge that is older than me, that works the same way, you put the two probes on opposite sides of the wheelrims both sides, then peer into a telescope at the reflection of  the target in a mirror on the opposite gauge and adjust the angle of the telescope until the cross hair aligns with the target and read off the scale.

The trackace measures the angle between the gauges by the spot moving along the card.

Neither one compensates for wheel size when they claim to measure toe in mm (inches in my case, it is probably pre-1791!), but they are "near enough" for our purposes.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds