BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

CB radio

More
18 Apr 2024 00:16 #255631 by francisfung
CB radio was created by francisfung
Hi all,

I am thinking of installing a CB radio in my Jimny 2019, does anyone know if the THUNDERPOLE T-600 is any good? and also if CB radio still a thing? if you guys are still using CB radio for green lane ing?
www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-packs/thu...off-roader-pack.html

Also, is there anyone are in the Surrey area and like to go green laning? 

Thank in advance. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2024 05:25 #255633 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic CB radio
Yes to the thunderpole t-600 I have it in my 2 jimnys ,and we all have CBs for green laning
The following user(s) said Thank You: francisfung

More
18 Apr 2024 06:18 #255634 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic CB radio
If you haven't seen this one and don't really want a permanent installation then THIS is a good one with the car kit, it is also a mobile CB. I have this one for laning days.

More
18 Apr 2024 07:50 #255638 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic CB radio
I fitted a tiny CB radio (PNI) in place of the ash tray (made a bracket to go in place of the ash tray bracket) on my Gen3 and made a bracket to carry an aerial on the spare wheel carrier, I used a similar antenna to the Thunderpole, worked really well.

To be honest I didn’t use it much and also bought a PNI handheld with a small mag mount and short whip antenna that can easily be fitted when needed.

www.radioworld.co.uk/pni-hp62-48-handhel...m_term=&gad_source=1

I also bought the option Lithium battery and short flexible antenna (rubber duck) to go portable.

I took the CB out of my Gen3 before selling it, but doubt I will fit it to my Gen4, I will just use the handheld with car kit and probably sell the ash tray CB when I can get round to it.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
18 Apr 2024 09:17 #255640 by francisfung
Replied by francisfung on topic CB radio
seems a good one to get then, which size of orbital did you choose? the mini or full size, the full size seems a bit too long for the Jimny.

More
18 Apr 2024 09:47 #255641 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic CB radio

Hi all,

I am thinking of installing a CB radio in my Jimny 2019, does anyone know if the THUNDERPOLE T-600 is any good? and also if CB radio still a thing? if you guys are still using CB radio for green lane ing?
www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-packs/thu...off-roader-pack.html

Also, is there anyone are in the Surrey area and like to go green laning? 

Thank in advance. 
tbh I suspect any and all CB radios are perfectly fine. They all have to adhere to the same legal power outputs.

If you want to mod for illegal power it might be different.

Apart from that I'd look at size, shape, packaging and features. There are some interestingly shaped and packaged CBs these days. Which can aid installation. In a JB74 Jimny there isn't a huge amount of places to install a radio.

There are also hand held radios with car kits that can be more compact that you may want to consider.

Feature wise, depends if you want things like a bleep noise when you stop transmitting and the like. I would say I prefer radios that have dials and are quick and easy to change the SQL or RF Gain. Modern CBs seem to have menus and multi function menu's which can be annoying to have to remember button clicks.

As for CB, yes I think it is seeing a resurgence. Although I'm personally not all that interested in talking to strangers for no reason. I only use a CB when laning or doing something in multiple cars across the fields such as Land Rover trials events etc.

A longer aerial should give better performance as a rule as line of sight matters with a CB. And while CBs can reach good distances, if you are in the mountains or laning range can rapidly diminish.

In a way I think PMR446 would be a better radio setup than a CB these days, but you do need to convert all the people in your group to making the switch over.

Interested to see how where you plan to mount the radio and antenna and what kind of mount you plan to use.

More
18 Apr 2024 09:51 - 18 Apr 2024 09:51 #255642 by francisfung
Replied by francisfung on topic CB radio
hey, thanks for your info, will share some photos on here after I decided which one I will get and installed.

Ps. nice picture you got there, is that a cliff next to an ocean?
Last edit: 18 Apr 2024 09:51 by francisfung.

More
18 Apr 2024 11:07 #255644 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic CB radio
Just noticed my link above didn't work. 2nd time lucky. 
Midland Alan 42DS CB Radio amzn.eu/d/9qQizZ4

More
18 Apr 2024 14:24 #255646 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic CB radio
I have the Midland Alan 42DS linked above by Soeley and it's good, although I've only used it once in the year or so I've had it. CB only seems useful for driving in a group when greenlaning, I can't see any use for it other than that.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds