BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

new jeep

More
15 Apr 2024 13:24 #255584 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic new jeep
Now this is strictly typing off topic but this is America going to extremes.
the Lockheed SR71 was originally referred to as the RS71 (Reconnaissance System), but Lyndon B.Johnson called it the SR and his aides decided to call it that instead of telling the rest of the world that the president had made a mistake!

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2024 13:47 #255585 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic new jeep
The Toyota MR2 was sold as the MR in France because "em-rr-deux" sounds rather like "merde".

MR2 = mid-engined runabout, 2 seats, as most people know.

More
15 Apr 2024 18:29 #255589 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic new jeep
In our off-roading days with SJs I heard many refer to them as Suzuki Jeeps and certainly many who didn’t really know the car called it a Suzuki Jeep instead of SJ410, 413 & samurai etc. For Jimnys I’ve mostly heard them as Jimny although do hear people say & write Jimmy which I find annoying. 

More
15 Apr 2024 21:42 #255592 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic new jeep
Back in the eighties, they were simply the LJ -" little Jeep" and SJ "Small Jeep". They were known in the States ( I believe ) as Jimnies, but never in the UK.

Roger

More
16 Apr 2024 06:01 #255593 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic new jeep
"Jimny" has not been used in the US because of the GMC Jimmy, a rebranded Chevy Blazer.

Jimny was mostly an Asian model name early on.

The LJ was just that in the US and the SJ turned into a Samurai from 1988.
Years may differ elsewhere in Europe.

The Jimny was never imported to the US.
If you saw the recent HBO series True Detective, the nerd like me spots a part of a Jimny in a shot and then you know this is not filmed in Alaska, but on Iceland. The only place where Jimnys are plentyful and that looks like the Arctic except Russia but no HBO series will be filmed in Siberia the next 20 years..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds