BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lift kit for Gen.4

More
18 Mar 2024 08:43 #255133 by Roger Fairclough
Good morning all.

Jimny Style have come up with a 40mm lift kit for the Gen.4. This kit uses H & R progressive springs with Bilstein shocks, all parts stated as being matched to improve on road performance.
I know that H & R and Bilstein are highly rated companies but has anyone got comments as to the kit itself?

Cheers

Roger 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2024 09:20 #255137 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Lift kit for Gen.4
Whilst I sell the Pedders kit and have previously sold the Trailmaster kit and therefore cannot comment on the JimnyStyle kit, I do have some photos of it fitted.

In the lineup photo you can see the one car that is on standard suspension !

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2024 11:45 #255140 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Lift kit for Gen.4

Good morning all.

Jimny Style have come up with a 40mm lift kit for the Gen.4. This kit uses H & R progressive springs with Bilstein shocks, all parts stated as being matched to improve on road performance.
I know that H & R and Bilstein are highly rated companies but has anyone got comments as to the kit itself?

Cheers

Roger 
I would assume the kit should be quite good. But it really depends what you are after. 40mm lift is fine, but it doesn't look like the shocks are much longer, as it doesn't need the front crossmember dropping. I'd question if you gain any extra suspension travel or if it even has as much travel as stock suspension. But this all depends on what sort of off roading you want to do and if you are trying to enhance this ability. If it isn't an off roading vehicle, I'd probably look at better shocks/springs, but retaining stock ride height.

I've just fitted a suspension kit to my Jimny (not the JimnyStyle kit). And even with a lift it does ride and handle better than stock, so a good kit will be worthwhile. But I was after increasing articulation and improving clearance. As these are (IMO) weaker traits of the stock vehicle for off roading.

More
18 Mar 2024 14:59 #255141 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Lift kit for Gen.4

Good morning all.

Cheers

Roger 
I would assume the kit should be quite good. But it really depends what you are after. 40mm lift is fine, but it doesn't look like the shocks are much longer, as it doesn't need the front crossmember dropping. I'd question if you gain any extra suspension travel or if it even has as much travel as stock suspension. But this all depends on what sort of off roading you want to do and if you are trying to enhance this ability. If it isn't an off roading vehicle, I'd probably look at better shocks/springs, but retaining stock ride height.

I've just fitted a suspension kit to my Jimny (not the JimnyStyle kit). And even with a lift it does ride and handle better than stock, so a good kit will be worthwhile. But I was after increasing articulation and improving clearance. As these are (IMO) weaker traits of the stock vehicle for off roading.
The best bang for your buck for articulation is removing the anti-roll bar. My first gen 3 Jimny was totally stock except for 215/80R15 tyres and no anti-roll bar. Our Suzuki Club had a flex off day, and my Jimny beat everything hands down. On another occasion, my second Gen 3 with 50mm lift and no anti-roll bar proved that it could out-flex a stock Jeep Rubicon with "swaybar" disconnected.

More
18 Mar 2024 15:59 #255142 by 300bhpton

The best bang for your buck for articulation is removing the anti-roll bar. My first gen 3 Jimny was totally stock except for 215/80R15 tyres and no anti-roll bar. Our Suzuki Club had a flex off day, and my Jimny beat everything hands down. On another occasion, my second Gen 3 with 50mm lift and no anti-roll bar proved that it could out-flex a stock Jeep Rubicon with "swaybar" disconnected.
Not wanting to dispute how your vehicle performed. But I'd need some convincing that the front anti-roll bar is that limiting.

For instance, if it truly is the limiting factor on the front axle travel, fitting longer shocks would make make no difference, yet longer shocks not only need longer brake lines, many kits for the 4th Gen also need the front cross member lowering. Because the extra travel from the shocks allows will cause the prop to hit the cross member.

I've not owned a Gen 3, but we have had a few at various RTV trials over the years. Some modded, most infact. So I'd assume no ARB on the front. But none flexed as well as a stock Land Rover 90 and a stock 90 doesn't flex as well as a Wrangler Rubicon. How were you measuring flex? Do you have any photos? Thanks.

More
18 Mar 2024 23:02 #255159 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Lift kit for Gen.4
It sure is limiting roll and flex.
And also keep your car on track on the road. Please do not recommend to remove it for road use. With a well loaded car, pulling a trailer or worse, a roof load, there could be very unpleasant surprises in the handling.
Wild body roll in 90kmh is not fun.
Or if you have to do a sudden double evasive manouver. (swedish moose test)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Mar 2024 07:32 - 19 Mar 2024 07:34 #255165 by Hughes
Replied by Hughes on topic Lift kit for Gen.4

Not wanting to dispute how your vehicle performed. But I'd need some convincing that the front anti-roll bar is that limiting

Dug up some notes from testing I did a few years back, when I was considering making a swaybar quick - disconnect for my gen3. Lifted a rear wheel on one side with a forklift until the front wheel on the same side came off the ground. Dropped back down until the front wheel just touched the ground, and measured the distance between the bottom of the rear wheel and the ground. (Vice versa for front axle). Did this with and without swaybar fitted.
This is what I found:

Rear axle went from 410 to 500mm - 75mm (3.5") increase in articulation.

Front axles went from 375 to 480mm - 105mm (4") increase in articulation with swaybar removed. 

Did have a King Springs 40mm lift kit installed during this test.
I drove it afterwards with the sway bar removed, was pleasantly suprised at how much better it was to drive so abandoned the swaybar quick-disconnect idea, put the swaybar in the back of the shed and it's never been on the vehicle since. 
I drive "defensively" and try not to be in a rush to get anywhere so I've never even felt remotely unsafe driving it like this. Of course, I can't in good faith recommend others doing the same as everyone's situation is different. 
​​​​
Last edit: 19 Mar 2024 07:34 by Hughes.

More
19 Mar 2024 07:36 #255166 by 300bhpton

It sure is limiting roll and flex.
And also keep your car on track on the road. Please do not recommend to remove it for road use. With a well loaded car, pulling a trailer or worse, a roof load, there could be very unpleasant surprises in the handling.
Wild body roll in 90kmh is not fun.
Or if you have to do a sudden double evasive manouver. (swedish moose test)
As said above. It can’t be limiting as in a physical block or restriction, else a longer shock would not provide more travel. Which they do. Ultimately there will be a limit based on the physical length of the bar/links. But this is not the case for a stock setup.

I suspect it is more a case of resistance however. Not sure how to put this into words. But the arb is slowing the roll and would require more force in order to roll the same amount as without it.

Ultimately if someone wants to do a side by side test with and without in stock suspension it may prove different results. I’d guess I’d sum it up that the stock arb makes it less willing to flex rather than prevents flex. A stiffer arb could alter this result.

On a similar note. I fitted longer shocks to my p38 Range Rover. Despite having anti roll bars still fitted, it also increased its articulation by doing this.

As for removing an arb. It depends. Not saying you should. But Land Rover Defenders right up until 2016 did not have any arb’s on certain specs. Discovery 1’s and Range Rover classics also both were available without any anti roll bars.

More
19 Mar 2024 08:22 #255168 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Lift kit for Gen.4
Many thanks for the input guys, but we are getting a wee bit off topic. 300 bhpton mentions that he fitted a kit but not the maker. I would be interested in what he thinks of it?

Roger

More
19 Mar 2024 11:34 #255172 by 300bhpton

Many thanks for the input guys, but we are getting a wee bit off topic. 300 bhpton mentions that he fitted a kit but not the maker. I would be interested in what he thinks of it?

Roger
I have the Black Raptor Premium 2” lift from JimnyBits. Only fitted 2 weekends back. It has adjustable shocks.

With regards to the kit you are looking at. I think they are Bilstein B6 shocks. I have something similar on a 90. And they generally have a good reputation. I’d guess that kit might be more on the firmer/sportier side of things. But I would assume it is a nice quality kit for a smaller lift.

That said. I really liked the look of the Old Man Emu kit. Which I think is about £200 cheaper and is also 40mm. I was very tempted by this kit. But ultimately wanted something offering more off road flex. The Old Man Emu kit is meant to be good on road too. But I’ve not been in either, so couldn’t say how they compare directly.

I am impressed with the adjustable shocks on the Black Raptor kit. I’m still fine tuning them. But I’m amazed that considering it is 2” taller it rides and handles better than stock. Not sure if they offer a standard height kit with these shocks, not looked. I’ve also not yet had chance to try it off road. But it should offer quite a bit more flex. I’ve done some RTI ramp tests with the stock suspension. So it’ll be interesting to see what improvements I get. Will hopefully test it this weekend.

In terms of improvement. It isn’t night and day different. But it is a marked improvement. I think a lot of this is because the Jimny is a narrow track, short wheelbase vehicle with relatively high centre of gravity. So some thing shocks and springs just won’t impact or solve.

But the vehicle feels a lot more planted and stable, has lost the side to side wobble it had developed under high speed cornering. And rides most road imperfections better. Although rough tarmac where puddles have been is not overly different. I suspect the biggest benefit is the ability to adjust the shocks and see the difference. But does require some effort to do this. On the softest setting the car felt very floaty and uncontrolled in terms of damping. It didn’t ride any better either, just under damped. I’ve had them as far as the mid setting and this is a little too firm and bouncy IMO. But on smooth roads worked really well and transformed how it leans in the corners, keeping it very very flat. Thus far I’m about midway between which seems a nice balance of controlled damping and still improved handling.

More
19 Mar 2024 12:15 #255173 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Lift kit for Gen.4

Good morning all.

Cheers

Roger 
Apologies for hijacking your thread. 

The H&R springs and Bilstein shock setup appears to be quite popular here in South Africa. I haven't heard anything bad about them. The guys that have them installed are quite happy with them.

More
19 Mar 2024 19:39 #255176 by 300bhpton

Not wanting to dispute how your vehicle performed. But I'd need some convincing that the front anti-roll bar is that limiting

Dug up some notes from testing I did a few years back, when I was considering making a swaybar quick - disconnect for my gen3. Lifted a rear wheel on one side with a forklift until the front wheel on the same side came off the ground. Dropped back down until the front wheel just touched the ground, and measured the distance between the bottom of the rear wheel and the ground. (Vice versa for front axle). Did this with and without swaybar fitted.
This is what I found:

Rear axle went from 410 to 500mm - 75mm (3.5") increase in articulation.

Front axles went from 375 to 480mm - 105mm (4") increase in articulation with swaybar removed. 

Did have a King Springs 40mm lift kit installed during this test.
I drove it afterwards with the sway bar removed, was pleasantly suprised at how much better it was to drive so abandoned the swaybar quick-disconnect idea, put the swaybar in the back of the shed and it's never been on the vehicle since. 
I drive "defensively" and try not to be in a rush to get anywhere so I've never even felt remotely unsafe driving it like this. Of course, I can't in good faith recommend others doing the same as everyone's situation is different. 
​​​​
I won't be removing the ARB on mine, but might fit an aftermarket disconnectable one.

I think the Gen 4 must be quite similar as standard to the Gen 3. Completely stock I got these figures:

Jimny - front 14” - RTI = 462
Jimny rear 17.5” - RTI = 578

Your modded figures are:

Front RTI = 624
Rear RTI = 650

So pretty good gains over stock.

Most people only RTI score on the front wheel, i.e. driving up forwards. For the record a JK Wrangler Rubicon scores 640 for the LWB and 830 for the SWB model. I believe the new JL does slightly better.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds