BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

end of the road

More
04 Mar 2024 17:42 #254792 by paul2u
end of the road was created by paul2u
its come to the end of the road for my 05 jimny a cracking machine  for me but i dont have the means to fix the rotten inner sills  i manage everything else ,  looking further ahead  at a newer one  and see they have push button 4x4  instead of a gear stick  what are they like as i use 4x4 very often

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2024 17:45 #254793 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic end of the road
Hi, mine was a push button 4WD and no problems, except when the 4WD switch decided to go iffy and it tried to switch in to 4WD all by iteslf.

I might have been able to fit a new switch to the PCB, but found a second hand switch box in a breakers for not much money.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
04 Mar 2024 17:51 #254794 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic end of the road
If you know a welder lamberts engineering sell inner Sill replacement part made from 3mm sheet 

More
04 Mar 2024 19:01 #254802 by dafyddcoch
Replied by dafyddcoch on topic end of the road
Personally, push button 4x4 selection is rubbish. Complexity for no advantage. My advice is find a really good older one, They are about, but rare for sure. It is worthy of note that the new new ones seem to have gone back to manual selection. A lever that you pull and can feel engaging, just makes so much sense. Often (and I don't know about push button Jimnys as I refuse to have one) the $X$ selection is slower than a lever

If the inner sill is the only major problem, I'd consider paying someone to fix it properly. maybe using the inner-sill suggested here. Just my opinion, nothing more.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Mar 2024 19:23 #254803 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic end of the road
Push buttons are entirely fine had them for years and years.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Mar 2024 23:26 - 04 Mar 2024 23:30 #254817 by Hughes
Replied by Hughes on topic end of the road
Push buttons are fine. The vacuum hub system is exactly the same anyway, which is what seems to go wrong on some vehicles. I engage the 4wd system probably weekly for various reasons and its never let me down. I have done the 2wd low mod as well which i think is easier to implement in a push button vehicle? I use it regularly on riverbeds, leave in low range and just engage hubs on the fly for the crossings.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2024 23:30 by Hughes.

More
05 Mar 2024 06:15 - 05 Mar 2024 06:16 #254818 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic end of the road
I do not miss having to go out the car in deep snow and mud to twist the either frozen or knee deep submerged manual hubs.
Had some problems this winter with dirt inside the vaccum valves that holds moisture making them seize when minus 5 or more below, but seems I got it working now.
The actuator itself has never been a problem as i have heard of as long as the transfer case got oil in it.

I got this other button too for the rear locker.
Haven't seen any complaints on that :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2024 06:16 by yakuza.

More
05 Mar 2024 09:25 #254819 by greenmachine
Replied by greenmachine on topic end of the road
Mine worked fine on my 55 reg in a past life, had a hiccup with the switches too when up Whernside at work. same as Doc, i fixed on site and ordered the small
switches for a few quid. i fitted free wheeling hubs and i think from memory removed the vac pump when i fitted the snorkel and breathers

More
05 Mar 2024 09:27 #254820 by greenmachine
Replied by greenmachine on topic end of the road
my sills need doing too, MOT man didnt like the fiberglass patch circ 7 yrs ago i remember!

More
05 Mar 2024 18:03 #254834 by facade
Replied by facade on topic end of the road
Get a quote for the welding.
Then could you buy a push button transfer one for what you get for yours as spares plus the welding costs?

Consider that the push button one will not be far behind yours in terms of rust, and if it isn't, the reason for sale is likely it needs £1500 spending on a recon gearbox & fitting. (ask robs5230)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds