BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rear brakes conversion Gen4

More
19 Feb 2024 18:51 #254449 by Plod64
I have replaced the front brakes on my Jimny with Endless Brakes. I am still investigating a rear drum to disc conversion.
I am not a technical man and wish to do the conversion using.Endless.
Can any members suggest which calipers and discs which Endless supply suitable for this job.
kind regards Mark 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2024 19:03 #254450 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Rear brakes conversion Gen4
You would probably be better off asking Endless.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Feb 2024 21:43 #254455 by lightning
What would be the advantage of fitting rear discs to a Jimny.

More
19 Feb 2024 22:30 #254456 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Rear brakes conversion Gen4
It's a common modification on earlier Jimnys, and I suspect the parts needed will be the same. I've never heard of endless but there are several companies that make conversation kits.
Advantages of discs on the rear are better performance in muddy and wet conditions and easier wheel bearing changes. It's fairly common for the drums to fill up with mud which renders then useless and wears out the shoes quickly.

More
19 Feb 2024 22:36 #254457 by Roger Fairclough
The standard drum brakes will quickly fill with mud if you enjoy "mud plugging" and the mud will dry and basically wreck the whole rear braking system. On my SJ ( series 2 ) and the LC I would strip and clean after every trip that had involved deep wading in liquid goo.
Fitting a disc brake conversion pretty much remedies this situation although you will need to clean the system but care needs to be taken if you use a pressure washer. When I came back from a trip I would visit Coughton ford for a few trips through as this would wash off most of the mud.
The other consideration is the seal on the half shaft bearing. This seal is designed to keep the grease in, it is useless at keeping water out. I made up a secondary seal system using a proprietary 2RS ( 2 rubber seals ) and that solved the problem.

Roger

More
19 Feb 2024 22:37 #254458 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Rear brakes conversion Gen4
Endless big brake kit, not cheap, about £2,300 to £2,600 depending on the discs and pads, they only appear to make them for the front.

streettracklife.com/products/endless-big...or-suzuki-jimny-2018

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Feb 2024 23:06 #254461 by 300bhpton

Endless big brake kit, not cheap, about £2,300 to £2,600 depending on the discs and pads, they only appear to make them for the front.

streettracklife.com/products/endless-big...or-suzuki-jimny-2018
That is an insane amount of money for Jimny brakes, I personally cannot fathom why you'd fit them.

More
20 Feb 2024 09:58 #254473 by Roger Fairclough
And you still finish up with an old style solid - not vented - disc. Plus connecting the hydraulics on the caliper with a short length of pipe is odd and a poor engineering concept as apposed to the simpler and better idea of internal passages and an "O" ring.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Feb 2024 10:11 #254474 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rear brakes conversion Gen4
Not really, I was looking at something similar when I was track daying my last jimny, for that kind of thing standard plus just won't cut it, I'd be getting fade after just one session.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2024 19:55 #254488 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Rear brakes conversion Gen4
I know there is a Jimny in Gran Turismo now (660cc turbo kei version) but I didn't think anyone actually did track days in them!

More
20 Feb 2024 20:59 - 20 Feb 2024 21:03 #254491 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Rear brakes conversion Gen4
I know i might not be your average jimny offroader. But I have had more disc brake than drum brake problems. I swap the internals of my drum brakes once a year or before the mot.
Open and inspect and twice a year.

I have had gravel, pebbels and sticks stuck in the calipers, broken seals making them rust so pistons stick, discs getting warped, discs rust, brake pads disintegrate and all this while the rear drums just work.

Brakes are the same on gen 3 and gen 4 right? 
Vented discs and front caliper kit can be bought here. Recommended! 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2024 21:03 by yakuza.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2024 07:42 #254496 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Rear brakes conversion Gen4
Drum brakes are coming back on EVs.

EVs don't use the physical brakes much (because of regen) so they don't need particularly effective rear brakes. Drums are cheaper, need less servicing, and don't get pitted from lack of use.  You get an easier and generally better handbrake arrangement with drums.  There is also less drag when the brakes are off.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds