BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Severe wobble

More
13 Feb 2024 17:11 - 13 Feb 2024 17:20 #254263 by Bod
Severe wobble was created by Bod
This has happened twice now the first time it was just after having new tyres fitted . Happily trundling along at about 55mph hit a bump in the road and she just started violently wobnling it that got worse when I tried to slow down . Not my kingpins , wheelsbalanced guessing it might be suspension related ? Any ideas anyone she's a 05 model done about 63000 miles . Had jimny 3 years now no problems .
Last edit: 13 Feb 2024 17:20 by Bod.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2024 19:32 - 13 Feb 2024 19:34 #254268 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Severe wobble
Ok you need to check everything for play to eliminate it as a possibility - bearings, bushes, track rod ends etc. its very likely its the Kingpin bearings if they have not been changed recently. 

If they are all ok then read on.

In my humble opinion it's wear and tear on everything associated with the front axle. When new everything is tight, this combined is friction, this friction damps movement associated with the axle. Unfortunately the Jimny has a natural resonance between 45-50 mph, so that tends to be the sweet spot for these issues. Over time as things wear the friction level drops, this makes it easier for any oscillations present to start to influence the axle - IE wobble. Changes in tyres (weight) and dampers can and do make a difference at this later stage in the Jimny life, larger / heavy tyres and suspension lifts just exaggerate the situation.

So what to do.
1) Check everything, back to my first suggestion.
2) Add friction to the kingpin bearings (pre load), Martin sells the shim washers in the Big Jimny Shop.
3) Add friction in the form of a steering damper kit, now standard on the G4 as even Suzuki couldn't remove it totally.

From your description, assuming the kingpins are ok, I would recommend a steering damper. Your description is exactly what happen to mine, the steering damper fixed the "bump" related wobble.

Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2024 19:34 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamento

More
13 Feb 2024 20:14 #254271 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Severe wobble
Just to add to that, if it's lifted has it had castor correction bushes fitted, that made a difference to mine, along with damper, & kingpin bushes

More
13 Feb 2024 20:39 #254277 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Severe wobble
I wonder if the bump has damaged something, may be a tyre or rim and thrown it out of balance? If you always had a small amount of play on the front the bump might have thrown something out to the point where a small instability becomes a wobble. Or something might have broke, a coil spring or suspension damper?

Although a steering damper will help (I have one fitted but not to fix a wobble), it shouldn't really be seen as a solution to a severe wobble, that is just covering up the problem.

I would suggest having a read through the wiki article on 'Death Wobble'
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Death_Wobble

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamento

More
13 Feb 2024 23:01 #254285 by Bod
Replied by Bod on topic Severe wobble
It's not lifted just replaced old rear tyres with some geolanders , it was on my way back from having them fitted on the rear that it started . So was wondering if it altered anything . The tyres removed were more off road tyres .

More
13 Feb 2024 23:03 #254286 by Bod
Its wasn't like wheels wobbling (death wobble)the whole vehicle was shaking .

More
13 Feb 2024 23:17 #254287 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Severe wobble
What is the make of the tyres on the front and are the front and rear the same size?

I am sure you weren’t but was your Jimny in 4WD?

Are the rear wheels fitted square to the hubs?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Feb 2024 00:08 #254288 by Bod
Same size tyres buy not the same make , will have to look what they are , but they are road only type tyre . No wasn't in 4 wheel drive .
Going to take the wheels off and check them , iwas wondering wether new tyres might have altered the tracking .. Also the rear panhard rod was bent when I bought it , I have replaced both panhards .

More
16 Feb 2024 08:27 #254365 by Bod
I need to say when the vehicle wobbles its not through the wheels / steering wheel , it's the whole vehicle

More
16 Feb 2024 09:11 #254366 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Severe wobble
If it is the whole body shaking, not the steering wheel, I'd look at the back axle.

A bent rear panhard rod is a red flag, something else got bent/distorted/broken/loose when the axle had a big enough bang to bend the rod..

If it was all the time I'd suggest a bent wheel or halfshaft, but as it is fine until a bump sets it off I'd look at all the bushes and the mountings.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds