BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Virgin Jimny owner - be gentle.

More
11 Feb 2024 22:39 - 11 Feb 2024 23:20 #254235 by Jamento
The wife has always wanted a Jimny but where we live (IoW) they're like hens teeth. After waiting an age, one came up last week. Private seller, 2008, 75k with only 2 owners and lots of service history. Got a pretty sweet deal too based on AT prices. 

I know next to nothing about Jimny's or cars for that matter and it's got a few issues (mentioned below), but overall we're very happy with it. 

Logbook only has VVT noted so I assume it's a Gen 3, JLX VVT 1.3

1. Previous owner (really old fella) says it doesn't have central locking, but it came with 2 keys and one is a fob. Maybe the battery just needs changing?
2. Steering judders at 45mph (balance/kingpins/bush according to a search on this site). Is this an expensive repair?
3. Full beam intermittent on dash and one of the rear number plate bulbs isn't working and the fella said it's "more" than just changing the bulb.
4. Fading/bleached paint work on bonnet. Hopefully it can be polished out instead of needing re-spray.
5. Where can I buy a hard copy owners manual?
6. No paperwork for timing chain replacement, so is this something that can be checked or should I just replace it? Is it a cheap or expensive job?
7. Drivers electric wing mirror needs replacing. Is that an easy job for a muppet?
8. £320 for road tax 
9. The Jimny was pretty gutless when going up a sustained hill. I know it's only a 1.3 and it was steep, but maybe there's a minor problem there too. 

If anyone has any advice or tips on the (too many questions, sorry) above it would be very much appreciated. Thanks. 

Great little piece of kit overall. Can see why they have such heritage now and hold their prices really well.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2024 23:20 by Jamento.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2024 23:38 - 11 Feb 2024 23:40 #254236 by yakuza
Welcome to the forum!

1. My prev owner was 95 :)
2. Do kingpin first. Make sure the chosen garage know how to.
6. It is a chain so need no service like the ones with a belt. so no worries, will last the life of the engine. 
9. They are not fast. Dont be afraid to use the rpm and a heavy foot, they can take the abuse.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2024 23:40 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Filipao

More
12 Feb 2024 06:36 #254238 by gv42
A Jimny welcome
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamento

More
12 Feb 2024 10:39 - 12 Feb 2024 11:09 #254240 by Jamento
He wasn't quite 95, but he was getting there!

Thanks for the tips and duly noted regarding the garage/kingpins and the heavy foot/rpm.

This site is brilliant for help and tips. I had no idea about when/how to use the 4wd and have to drive defensively.

I would really like the get the central locking query resolved if anyone knows??? Why would it come with a fob if it's not CL?

Good to know about the timing chain too. I had read it had to be changed between 80-100k. So much conflicting info out there. 
Last edit: 12 Feb 2024 11:09 by Jamento.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2024 11:07 - 12 Feb 2024 11:08 #254241 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Virgin Jimny owner - be gentle.
The key buttons should work.  If not, see if the screw head has been stripped by a hamfisted previous attempt to change the battery.  I had to drill the head off (after getting a new screw).  The battery is CR1616 or CR1620.  They both fit - CR1620 is marginally thicker - but often one works and one doesn't.  Buy whatever is in there already.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2024 11:08 by rogerzilla.

More
12 Feb 2024 11:10 #254242 by me101
Hi, you get used to the lack of grunt! Does the locking work on the key (when the key is used in the door rather than remote)? If not, changing the key battery will have no effect. If number plate bulb does not work with a new bulb, just take a new feed from the one next to it. Only use 4wd when off tarmac (or ice / snow)

Cheers

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
12 Feb 2024 11:13 #254243 by Jamento

The key buttons should work.  If not, see if the screw head has been stripped by a hamfisted previous attempt to change the battery.  I had to drill the head off (after getting a new screw).  The battery is CR1616 or CR1620.  They both fit - CR1620 is marginally thicker - but often one works and one doesn't.  Buy whatever is in there already.

Thanks. Perfect timing as I have just done that and then seen your message. The fob states CR1616 but had a 1620 battery. So I'm off to the shop now to buy a 1616 and hopefully it's simply because the old fella hadn't changed the battery. You forget how much you become accustomed to CL. 

More
12 Feb 2024 11:18 #254244 by Jamento

Hi, you get used to the lack of grunt! Does the locking work on the key (when the key is used in the door rather than remote)? If not, changing the key battery will have no effect. If number plate bulb does not work with a new bulb, just take a new feed from the one next to it. Only use 4wd when off tarmac (or ice / snow)

Cheers
Duh, Hadn't even checked that. Thanks! Just used the spare he gave me. Stupid boy. 

More
12 Feb 2024 14:29 #254246 by DrRobin
Putting the key in the drivers door, should lock/unlock all of the doors, if it does then it has central loocking and it's working.

If a new battery doesn't fix the remote then either:

- The remote key fob is broken;
- The remote key fob needs re-programming in to the car controller;
- The remote controller in the car has a fault.

See the wiki page about remotes
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Key...g_transmitter,_alarm

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
12 Feb 2024 14:36 #254247 by DrRobin
The electric wing mirror should be straight forward. I had to take mine off to fit a 360 degree camera, I don't remember any specific problems.

The lack of grunt, is probably normal. Other cars that I have owned which pull up a hill in top gear at 3,000 rpm, have the Jimny in 3rd. I find it's best to change down on a Jimny when the revs drop below 3,000 rpm on a hill otherwise it just goes slower. Keep the revs above 3,000 and it will do much better. Change up when you get the other side of 4,000 rpm.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2024 15:30 #254248 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Virgin Jimny owner - be gentle.
I could overtake HGVs uphill when towing a small trailer.  But if you're used to a turbo it will need a change of mindset - it must be revved.

More
12 Feb 2024 18:20 #254249 by jlines
Interesting that you say the Isle of Wight doesn’t have many Jimnys for sale as at one point I use to call it Suzuki island as they were everywhere and I could understand why as it’s the perfect car for buzzing around the lanes and towns. 

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds