BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2003 Restoration

More
07 Feb 2024 17:23 #254110 by MRutterford1
I must be mad!

I bought my first Jimny last year, its a 2003 Blue "special". The first thing that i did was put a M16A engine in it from Rhino Ray's in sunny sussex, and a LOF extreme clutch...

Its been sat for around 5 months after being my daily, went to sell it yesterday for £1500, after a bit of a trickle charge the engine burst into life!, yet within 30 seconds, it squealed like a pig and the fan wasn't spinning!, (fan spins free by hand), so one of the pulleys must be stuck , as after the ear piercing squeal a small cloud of rubbery smoke was seen! I turned the engine off as quick as I could! so don't think any proper damage has been caused... 

Well now the time has come for some serious work! 

The boot floor needs to be replaced anyway, as do a few other areas that have rusted!, and the passenger door needs attention as its had a bad repair from a low impact and doesn't open up properly....

Well....now i plan to take the body off....and deal with the following:

1) sand blast chassis
2) repair any rust areas / body mounts 
3) repaint chassis in raptor orange
4) deal with offending pulley 
5) assess all body mounts and replace if necessary
6) convert rear drums to discs
7) replace exhaust 
8) consider putting a 2inch body lift on and extending the brake lines etc
9) putting a tow bar on 

Body:

1) Cut out all rust areas 
2) weld new steel in
3) rub down body 
4) remove rear windows
5) replace windows in rear with steel panels
4) raptor paint shell in black 
5) replace steering wheel with something that isn't falling apart
6) remount body to shell
7) drive and enjoy it! 

Hopefully all the above work will ensure that it lives for another 21 years! 

Wish me luck! i feel that this list will only get bigger as things are seized, broken, and rotten! 

I'll probably update this thread as i go with pics.....this will either be a great project, or I'll be re-creating the scene from faulty towers where basil beats his non starting car with a bush! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2024 19:34 #254119 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic 2003 Restoration
Alternator seized?

More
07 Feb 2024 23:59 #254126 by MRutterford1
Replied by MRutterford1 on topic 2003 Restoration
I did initially think that too! But it looks rather new and shiny! (I've had the rust bucket for just coming up to two years now and have not replaced it in my very short ownership)

I'm gonna get the belts off and see if it spins....if not, problem solved and I'll add it to the list

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds