BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Removal of Jimny instrument panel to change speedometer face plate to MPH

More
02 Jan 2024 06:06 #253199 by Kermit
How do you remove the instrument panel on a 2022 Suzuki Jimny? There are what look like four allan type sockets but very shallow and a key does not work. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2024 10:19 #253200 by mlines
Its because they are fake!

The whole instrument panel cover is secured by internal clips so has to be prised off. With the cover removed the main part of the cluster is then held in place by a couple of screws.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Jan 2024 10:21 #253201 by facade
Those are just pretend fasteners to make it look retro.
The whole pod pulls out somehow, then you will have to dismantle the clocks from the back.

It is much easier to just get used to the kph scale. You soon learn 32, 48, 64, 80, 96 & 112, I rode a grey import 'bike for years.

There is no MOT fail criteria for a kph only speedo.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
02 Jan 2024 13:33 #253204 by Phaeton

Added to the things I thought I knew but are wrong about

More
02 Jan 2024 18:20 #253211 by DrRobin

The whole pod pulls out somehow, then you will have to dismantle the clocks from the back.

It is much easier to just get used to the kph scale. You soon learn 32, 48, 64, 80, 96 & 112, I rode a grey import 'bike for years.

My understanding now is that as part of the vehicle import it has to have the speedo changed to read in MPH.  You are right though, it won't fail the MOT, the speedo isn't checked for correct operation at the MOT.  However, it is illegal to have a non-working speedo.  A bit of a grey area that.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
02 Jan 2024 23:20 #253214 by facade

My understanding now is that as part of the vehicle import it has to have the speedo changed to read in MPH.  You are right though, it won't fail the MOT, the speedo isn't checked for correct operation at the MOT.  However, it is illegal to have a non-working speedo.  A bit of a grey area that.

A personal import (of a less than 10 year old vehicle), or any left hand drive vehicle has to pass the basic IVA test, where the speedo is inspected (and the newly fitted rear fog light on a JDM checked it has the correct e markings ;) ) The inspection is still for compliance with a Euro directive AFAIK, where it must be marked in 10kph increments, but a vehicle marketed for sale in a country still on imperial measurements has to have mph on it as well- a dual mph/kph scale.

My interpretation is that a kph only speedo on a vehicle not originally built for the UK market would pass the IVA.  
Grey imports used to come with nasty stickers on the speedo glass marking 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70. I'm not sure if these were just a convenience thing for the new owner, or were put on to ensure it passed IVA (or whatever it used to be then), even though not strictly necessary- I suppose if you are fitting them anyway, it might as well be before the test as after.

The MOT only checks that the speedo is present, looks as if it will work and lights up, unless it has to be road tested for the brakes (permanent 4wd and anything with a haldex- you might even find that some use it on a Gen 4 as it has "Allgrip" on the back), when they would notice as they couldn't tell it was doing 20mph for the Tapley meter.

A speedo that shows the vehicle speed is working, even if the indication is in kph, you just remember that 10mph = 16kph

Anyway my advice to the OP is not to mess. It is easy to break something very expensive changing the scale card, and it isn't necessary.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
03 Jan 2024 12:24 #253220 by Phaeton
Sort of on the same lines, we used to have a 1977 Ford D series horsebox, the speedo didn't work when we bought it (inner cable broken) it went through 3 Ministry MOT's that way. One day I decided to try to fix it, as the inner was broken as there were several different length ones I removed both parts of the inner drive to measure & get a replacement. The order was delayed & I forgot I had left the end disconnected from the gearbox, so I went for the next test & it failed as it was obviously it wasn't working. Because it had failed when I brought it back a week later the Inspector got into the cab & we drove around the building to prove it was now working & I hadn't simply connected the end back up, whether that was strictly correct or not I'm not sure but you don't argue with the Ministry boys.

More
06 Jan 2024 00:05 #253283 by Filipao
I really want to shut the indicators' sound off.

Any pictures from the panel's disassembly would be very welcome, thank you!

More
10 Jan 2024 16:23 #253420 by Kermit
Ok, thanks guys. I will have to get Suzuki garage to change speedo dial as it is imported from Australia I need IVA inspection so must have MPH.
I need also a tear fog light. I have purchased a Jimny right hand light cluster and use the second reverse light to be the fog lamp, just need to run the power supply to a new switch in the dash. I have a new switch for a light bar that I can install but how to get the dash panel off??

More
25 Jan 2024 15:03 #253743 by Motacilla
The speedometer face plate is not available as a separate part; Suzuki will tell you that the entire unit (instrument pod) must be replaced. The part is on the order of £300, give or take.

More
25 Jan 2024 17:47 - 25 Jan 2024 17:47 #253748 by Man of Kent
I imported (or, to be honest, re-imported) a 1991 Range-Rover Vogue SE in the late 90’s from Belgium and had to replace the speedo head to read in MPH, or the garage would not give it an MoT pass. And obviously the headlights from right dip to left.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2024 17:47 by Man of Kent.

More
28 Jan 2024 17:46 #253843 by Filipao
Any pictures from the panel's disassembly would be very welcome, thank you!

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds