BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:SZ5 value versus LCV

• DrRobin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
04 Dec 2023 23:30 #252628 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV

The op never said about buying an LCV unless I’m missing something? He was just asking why there’s a price difference between that and the SZ5. From his post I gathered he’s looking to sell the Jimny and another car to buy just one car. 
Good point, my bad, I read it wrong.

In that case a late SZ5 commands a better price than an LCV because the equipment level is higher, there are four seats and tax/insurance is less.  Add to that they don’t import the 4 seater any more so rarity becomes an issue.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2023 08:14 - 05 Dec 2023 08:15 #252633 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
l would say you'll get £22-24,000 for a low mileage SZ5
That's looking at those for sale/sold on Ebay and Auto Trader etc and ignoring the £26,000+ dealer ones.
Motorway thinks our 2020 SZ5 with similar mileage is worth £22,000 while WBAC values it at £20,000.

Obviously those are "trade" prices so they clearly still think they can mark it up a few thousand and sell it.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2023 08:15 by lightning.

More
05 Dec 2023 12:05 #252637 by mikemike39
Replied by mikemike39 on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
Thanks for your replies. I realise I wasn't clear and my apologies for that - I was surprised that several year old SZ5 appeared to be worth more $$ than you'd pay for new LCV

The Jimmy is great locally, a decent sized SUV is great on the motorway. A Jimmy of any description is not a motorway car really - up to 50mph it's great and up to 60 OK. Above 60 is the one thing it can't do well (in my view)

My wife was wondering - if we get rid of old SUV (190,000 miles) and also Jimmy - is there something that can do both jobs well?

The answer to that is probably not - at least not as well as the Jimmy locally and the SUV on the motorway!!

More
05 Dec 2023 15:17 #252641 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
I have just been through a similar journey, trying to replace the Jimny with something that's:
Better on the motorway
Better ride over Britains pot hole roads
Better MPG
Lower road tax
Is still a small vehicle for town driving
Is still a 4x4 for the odd snow and muddy fields
Can tow a Caravan
Is a petrol as DPF and me don't get on.
is as good as the Jimny off road

It's was almost impossible. Newer petrol vehicles tend to have small "eco" engines, not so good for towing, all the other ones on offer are Diesel

But if you don't tow I would look at Suzuki Vitaras, Toyota RAV4 or Dacia Duster if you want reliable 4x4 offerings The down side is they can be on the large side compared to a Jimny.
Small side is Fiat Panda 4x4 or Suzuki AllGrip equipped cars. 

I know many other makes and models exist, but I wanted to stay Suzuki / Toyota for reliability. So in the end I kept the Jimny (nothing can replace it as a small 4x4) and added a Suzuki SX4 - 4x4. Which manages to tick all my boxes except the last one.

Good luck with your search.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 Dec 2023 15:43 - 05 Dec 2023 15:45 #252643 by lightning
The new Defender (in "basic" specification at least) is like a Jimny in many ways, although somewhat more expensive.

It's fabulous at towing, superb on the motorway and still manages 40mpg on a run.
It also makes you realise what a bargain the Jimny was at under £20,000

l find the Jimny fine at 65mph on the motorway.

You could always look at the old Defender. A nice TD5 Station Wagon cost around the same as a Jimny LCV although it makes the Jimny feel refined.
And Suzuki somehow made the Jimny ride better than the old Defender despite having the same underpinnings.
Probably due to the Defender's 3,600kg towing capacity requiring harder suspension.

The old Defender (like the new Jimny) won't lose much money so if after a couple of years you decide it's not for you, it's likely to sell for what you paid for it.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2023 15:45 by lightning.

More
05 Dec 2023 17:17 #252644 by Manxman
Replied by Manxman on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
Combine the 4x4 ability of the Jimny, decent size for motorways, good build quality and good residuals... gotta be a Toyota Landcruiser then. Or any of the Japanese dual cab pickups for that matter.

More
05 Dec 2023 18:12 #252645 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
There are lots of SUVs that will tick alot of boxes compared to the Jimny but with that you do lose the quickyness and character of the Jimny. I just got rid of my 15 plate Range Rover evoque for my LCV and despite their reputation it was a cracking car that could pretty much do it all without the price tag of the bigger range rovers.

More
05 Dec 2023 18:27 #252646 by lightning
The Evoque is a great vehicle and as you say, can be bought for reasonable money.

Only issue is the ongoing DPF problems with the 2.0 lngenium diesel.
Used for local journeys it suffers from oil dilution.

The 3.0 lngenium in new Defender doesn't have any DPF issues. In time prices will drop and they'll be available for reasonable money second hand.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2023 20:56 #252647 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
A Jimny will cruise ok at 70 (the auto is longer-legged) provided there aren't strong crosswinds and you can cope with fairly high fuel consumption at that speed.

More
05 Dec 2023 21:44 - 05 Dec 2023 21:45 #252648 by lightning
Yes it will. Ours is the manual but l've become a bit of a cruiser these days, probably due to years of driving old classics.

I set the cruise at 60mph and let the world go by in the fast lane. Sometimes l will go faster mainly to avoid holding up the trucks which otherwise try to overtake.

Last year we went to Scotland which is around 400 miles. l sat at 60mph and still beat my friends in their Ford C-Max because they made one extra stop and then got caught in some traffic that we had missed half an hour earlier.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2023 21:45 by lightning.

More
06 Dec 2023 00:10 #252651 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
I also can't see the issue on the motorway. Did a 140 mile round trip yesterday, half way round the M25 and back, plus some dual carriage way.

Mostly sat at about 65mph, but with all the speed cameras these days and traffic, there was no need to run quicker. It did a respectable 35.8mpg. We did run at 70mph at some places and other trips I've set the cruise at 70mph without issue.

I'm not saying other vehicles aren't better and if you genuinely are wanting to run at 80mph+, then that speed does make the Jimny scream rpm wise. But overall I cannot fault it at legal speeds.

More
07 Dec 2023 15:32 #252700 by stuartmc
Replied by stuartmc on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
Had the same problem. Have a SZ5 Auto in UK for local runabout needed something for use in Spain. It had to be okay on motorway as 2 hours from airport and 1 mile of offroad track at end of journey.so needed a reasonable AWD capability. Small auto 4X4 very few and far between. Ended up with a 1.4 Vitara GLX AllGrip. Very happy, wee bit noisy on motorway but in every other way perfect solution.

2020 SZ5 Auto, 2019 Vitara GLX 1.4T AT AllGrip

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds