BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof top tent or awning & awning tent?

More
17 Nov 2023 15:08 #252171 by Raz Roze Ben Shabat
Hello, I am planning to overlanding in my 2021 Suzuki jimny so i was thinking about buy front runner's roof top tent and load bar kit, the total roof load weight would be about 50 kg so i have second thoughts because the roof load recommended weight limit are 30 kg and so lately i was thinking about purchase instead the awning & awning tent are much lighter option but i couldn't find under 2 meters awning that won't overhang and compilable awning tent.

I would like to read what you think is a better option: roof top tent or awning & awning tent, also can you recommend for an under 2 meters awning & awning tent/ annex?

Kind regards,
Raz Roze B.S 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rothbury1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2023 19:18 #252179 by Rothbury1
Replied by Rothbury1 on topic Roof top tent or awning & awning tent?
Have look at GeordieJimny on U tube, he has a lot videos on the information you need.
Happy camping.

More
17 Nov 2023 19:40 #252180 by Manxman
I'd be wary of carrying much weight high on a Jimny if you plan any serious off roading. Have you seen the Caranex H3? Fits over the back door and allows access to the Jimny when set up. Just a thought... Good luck in any case :-)

More
17 Nov 2023 21:12 - 17 Nov 2023 21:18 #252183 by yakuza
overlandvehiclesystems.com/nomadic-270lt...e-270-degree-awning/
This is the most fitting and lightweight 270 awning I found so far. I am just about to order one. Not big, but I also got other tarps and so on for expansions.

If still going for a tent there are awnings that can be stored low or is very light weight like the Moon Shade awning, or any tarp and some creative use of rods and ropes.

There are many other solutions for overnighting that appeal more to me than a roof top tent.
I would not like the climb, the weight, and it is still a tent in rough weather, and they cost too much for a tent if you buy one that can take a bit of weather. And also i would like to have the possibility to keep other stuff on the roof.

But wow how many others that love the roof tents, good on them!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2023 21:18 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Nov 2023 08:11 #252192 by Lambert
Roof top tents confuse me. You have to break camp if you need the car for whatever reason, any thing that is going to kill you in your sleep like bears and tigers and wolves and sharks and eagles can all climb into your fabric roof tent anyway, there's less shelter from the elements up high on the roof and they move and sway alarmingly in the wind or indeed when I roll over. Oh and they're really expensive for what they are. A pop up roof on the other hand to give more headroom inside makes more sense. And a tiny house on wheels that you drag behind you sounds even better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Nov 2023 08:26 #252193 by lesgrandepotato
We have a roof top tent. Boy child (bijou spud) got too big for the front bunk in the vee dub so we fitted a penthouse. 
Is it super practical, middling… takes about 5mins to deploy. Is it fun. Definitely it’s like having your own mobile treehouse. If that appeals you’ll love it. It’s a total pita to dry if you get it wet and it stays raining… 

Has it been on the jimny? Yes, did I notice it Yes! Twofold. One the jimny needs an air brake like I need another pie. It slows it down a bit. 
Secondly mind your head as you get in an out. It’s pretty wide.
Total weight though it’s awkward one man lift. So probably 25-35kg. 
Will it go on again? Yeh probably :-) it’s great for scout camp 

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2023 15:56 #252200 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Roof top tent or awning & awning tent?
I think.I saw one on a blue Gen4 in Sainsbury's car park, like a huge black square bag on the roof.  The car also looked as if it had been coated with glue and driven through a Jimny accessory store...obviously a much cherished car!

More
19 Nov 2023 15:06 #252221 by Gadget
Awning rooms don't seem a great idea to me, all of the disadvantages of a normal tent (putting up, taking down, risk of mildew if not dry) while also being less weather proof.

Agree with Lambert that roof tents are a pain because you can't use the car while pitched, although the hard shell ones do appeal to me because they're quick to setup and less prone to problems when packing away damp.

Best solutions are a caravan or trailer pod, but they limit your performance and options for routes.

If it were me, I'd go for a simple side awning and a traditional tent.

More
19 Nov 2023 15:46 #252222 by Manxman
To be fair, the best solution would be to use a bigger vehicle than a Jimny and sleep inside it, but that's an entirely different conversation :-)

More
19 Nov 2023 17:25 #252223 by Busta
I don't understand the attaction of roof tents, let alone on tiny cars like the Jimny that are overloaded the minute you put them on.

Have you looked at any regular ground tents? If you like the idea of a roof tent then the OzTent RV range might appeal. Partly because they are so long you'd need to carry it on the roof anyway, but they are also very quick to put up and would work well with an awning.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds