BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Would you swap?

More
18 Oct 2023 16:27 #251561 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Would you swap?
Towing capacity on a Wrangler is a joke.

Roger
The topic has been locked.
More
18 Oct 2023 20:30 #251569 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Would you swap?

Roger
Depends which Wrangler you are meaning. Some are as low as the Jimny's at around 1200kg. But I think some of the long wheel base models had a 3500kg rating and some somewhere in between. It's not that they mechanically can't tow, but I think it is marketing. In the USA they want you to buy a big pickup truck to tow, so I think they deliberately keep the tow rating of other vehicles lower.
More
21 Oct 2023 05:54 #251604 by RumbleAndSway
Replied by RumbleAndSway on topic Would you swap?
All these vehicles [Defender, Jimny, Wrangler] are worthy but it was the Willis Jeep I always wanted - until I drove one.

After four years the Jimny SZ5 remains my favourite car.

The only issue I have is with the Goodyear AT’s on wet tarmac when you can suddenly lose traction.

Sharp, wet, right/left hand turns - particularly on hills seems to be the problem. 

I suspect a LSD and more appropriate tyres would help but I drive off-road most days so I won’t be changing anything. 
More
21 Oct 2023 08:34 #251605 by Roger Fairclough

Roger
Depends which Wrangler you are meaning. Some are as low as the Jimny's at around 1200kg. But I think some of the long wheel base models had a 3500kg rating and some somewhere in between. It's not that they mechanically can't tow, but I think it is marketing. In the USA they want you to buy a big pickup truck to tow, so I think they deliberately keep the tow rating of other vehicles lower.
Short wheelbase Wrangler towing capacity 1497 kg
Long wheelbase        :               :          :        2495 Kg
Toyota Hilux                                                   3500 kg
Jimny Gen.4                                                   1300kg

Roger
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Oct 2023 17:11 #251618 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Would you swap?
Not all hilux can tow 3500kg some were only just over 2000kg plenty of farmers round here found that out the hard way. It depends on which generation of wrangler or hilux and even what model within that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
21 Oct 2023 17:26 #251621 by Roger Fairclough
All the info. I have given is for up to date models, as well you know.

Roger

PS If Yorkshire farmers can't be bothered to read the spec. sheets, blah, blah, blah.
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Oct 2023 20:31 #251634 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Would you swap?
But given that we're talking about a 25k alternative to a jimny a new current hilux at 50k or a wrangler at over 60k is less relevant than an older model with the different specs that can be found used for 25k.

P.S. I'm locking this now before it gets ugly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds