BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Head Unit and Rear View (Reverse) Camera Upgrade - Suzuki Jimny LCV 2023

More
01 Aug 2023 10:19 #250068 by LilJimnyKenyon
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and the wonderful world of the Suzuki Jimny. I can't wait to get going and show you all my Jimny as it progresses through the years.

The first set of work that I want to carry out on the Jimny is threefold:

a) Remove the front grille and replace it with a Retro Front Grille from StreetTrackLife - the wonderful video from @mlines on youtube (
) is likely all I need so hopefully I am all set on that 'front' (pun intended);

b) Remove the existing standard radio head unit and replace it with a Pioneer EVO950DAB; and
c) Install a rear view (reverse) camera onto the vehicle and connect it with the new head unit.

I need some help with b) and c) if possible.

Firstly (b), I am planning to install the Pioneer unit which is a single DIN unit and I am conscious that the wonderful tutorial from @Gadget will need some tweaking as the Kenwood unit that @Gadget installed was a double DIN unit so fitted into the existing slot perfectly.

1) @Gadget suggested using the existing brackets and installing them onto the new unit. Will this work on a single DIN unit? If not, what brackets will I need to install the unit?
2) There will clearly be a gap in the Double DIN Fascia as the Single DIN unit will not fill it out. Is there a suitable part that will fill this gap and look the part? I am thinking either a pocket or a blank plate.
3) Does anybody have a tutorial or step by step guide as to how to install the DAB antenna, GPS antenna and External Microphone from the head unit?

I am hoping to be able to do this myself because i want to learn how to undertake simple tasks on the Jimny and it will stand me in good stead for dealing with more complex works later on down the line so any knowledge would be really useful.

Secondly (c), the installation of the rear view (reverse) camera. I think @mlines has a tutorial on youtube for this one so I should hopefully be okay however I do have a few questions:

1) is there an existing slot for the camera in the LCV or will i need to purchase an add on that houses the camera (if so what add on is recommended);
2) is the OEM camera the best bet for this (it is really pricey for what is a generally cheap bit of kit) or is there other alternatives out there that come recommended?

Cheers guys, hopefully you can all help and share this journey with me. 

I plan to make YouTube videos that can hopefully be used moving forwards for anybody who wants to undertake the same works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Aug 2023 03:22 #250080 by Lambert
I don't have specific gen4 experience but usually the brackets for radios are sufficiently universal to fit different types, same thing for the pockets, there are usually some holes that line up well enough.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Aug 2023 07:27 #250082 by DrRobin
Why not fit a double DIN radio?

My Gen3 had a windscreen mounted antenna for DAB, but it picked up interference so I bought a mag mount whip antenna and fitted it on the roof at the rear.

My GPS antenna is just under the dashboard, works well enough on a Gen3.

The reverse camera cable is routed down the left hand side, just take the door sill panel, the footwell kick panel and the rear inside side panel off and it is easy to route.

I took the bumper off my Gen3 to fit the camera and hide the wiring with the rear light loom.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
08 Aug 2023 14:49 #250167 by ajsms999
Hello,
I do have a solution - I have PM'd you.

Regards
Andrew

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds