BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How good is the new Jimny

More
05 Jul 2023 19:00 - 05 Jul 2023 19:09 #249737 by lightning
Very good, as l've recently discovered.

l've got a new Defender Commercial and that's obviously a superb vehicle, but the electronics are just so frustrating 

For instance 

The mirrors auto fold when you lock the vehicle and you can't stop them from doing so.
lf you have towing mirrors attached it means you can't lock the vehicle as they hit the door when the mirrors fold.

You can't stop the auto headlights from constantly turning on and off on a dull day. 
The Jimny is a lesson on how that should be done.

You can turn off the lane departure system but the flipping thing turns back on next time you use the vehicle.

And the sodding stop/start. Every time you stop, the engine cuts out. You have to turn it off every time you use the vehicle.

At least you can permanently turn off the automatic wipers.

Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 19:09 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2023 19:41 - 05 Jul 2023 19:42 #249739 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic How good is the new Jimny
When I had my Toyota iQ before the Jimny, that had Stop/Start, likewise you could switch it off for that journey, but it would self activate next time you started the engine. However, it could be reversed by the dealer i.e. permanently turned off, unless you hit the button to turn it on the the journey.

Might be worth asking the dealer what they can play with on their computer?
Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 19:42 by Soeley.

More
05 Jul 2023 20:14 - 05 Jul 2023 20:18 #249740 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic How good is the new Jimny
It's the lack any features that made me purchase a Jimny in the first place, totally fed up with features after my last VW.
I was saddened to see some appear on the new G4, but obviously it's still a lot better in that respect than a feature rich Land Rover. It's ok if they work well, but most don't, and tend to contribute to the endless trips to the dealer to get electrical / software issues fixed (Land Rover - not Suzuki).
I can turn on my own wipers / lights, keep the vehicle between the lines and pull away on a hill without auto handbrake, it's called driving 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 20:18 by Scimike.

More
05 Jul 2023 20:26 #249741 by RumbleAndSway
Confirming what the logical already knew.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/j...nment-rowan-atkinson

I love my Jimny and it’s rarity www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/suzuki_jimny_sz5_4x4

Going to keep it until “somebody prises it from my cold dead hand” :o)

More
05 Jul 2023 20:56 #249743 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic How good is the new Jimny
l would agree, our Jimny is definitely staying! Despite the very attractive offers from online car buying sites, over the last three years. l just love it.

Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2023 13:23 #249807 by Grizzlie
Replied by Grizzlie on topic How good is the new Jimny
As my first foray into 4x4 cars, I had to readjust my understanding/feeling of physics and what a car is capable of doing. The inclines and declines as well as the terrain my Gen4 conquers on the stock AT20's on overpressure is amazing.

More
11 Jul 2023 16:19 #249833 by Roger Fairclough
What do you mean by "overpressure"?

Roger

More
11 Jul 2023 19:18 #249837 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic How good is the new Jimny
WIth my Jimny the auto lights go on and off all the time as I drive around in daylight

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
11 Jul 2023 21:51 - 11 Jul 2023 21:51 #249843 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic How good is the new Jimny
lt's easy to override that feature on the Jimny, just turn the headlights stalk switch from "auto" to "off".
Last edit: 11 Jul 2023 21:51 by lightning.

More
12 Jul 2023 12:40 - 12 Jul 2023 12:45 #249852 by lookonimages

mlines wrote: WIth my Jimny the auto lights go on and off all the time as I drive around in daylight

There is way to make this on all the time. The lights are coded that at certain intensity the light switch on. Between say 0 and 10%. The dash light also work at a set %.

So if you take a piece of insulation tape and close it off about 3 quarters of the way, your lights will be on all the time, but the dashlights will be on full brightness so you can see nicely in day light. Only once it go below say 5% sunshine the dashlights also goes a bit less brighter that is nice for night driving..

So this actually nice daylight running light option for me.

See thus post.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...trument-panel-lights
Last edit: 12 Jul 2023 12:45 by lookonimages.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds