BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Most aggressive A/T (before it becomes an M/T)

More
31 May 2023 06:11 #249354 by Grizzlie
I'm looking for an eventual tire upgrade but think A/T is the way to go as majority of my offroading is forest, light/medium sand. I expect occasionally mud (however, I'd prefer not to get stuck in the mud I might encounter). 
Long range driving on bitumen also comes into play, as some trips are 300-400km only on the dark stuff.

So I'm looking for an agressive A/T...or a less aggressive M/T in order to maximalize the on/off road experience. And the 195/80 or 215/75 are the main sizes I'm looking at of course.

Suggestions? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2023 06:51 #249357 by Busta
I ran BFG MT for years and have recently switched to BFG ATs. I'm fairly sure the ATs would do exactly what you want. The muds are undoubtedly better in mud, but the ATs are better everywhere else and still perform very well mud. Road manners are great and tyre wear is exceptional.

More
31 May 2023 07:01 #249359 by sniper
Have a look at Radar Renegade RT's....

sniper

More
31 May 2023 13:54 #249365 by DrRobin
I am running Maxxis Worm-drives in 215/75, very similar to BFG, but a bit cheaper.

I also have Hankook Dynapro ATm 205s which are not quite as aggressive tread pattern, but still very capable and a fair bit cheaper than either the Maxxis or BFG.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
31 May 2023 15:47 #249367 by jackonlyjack
Darren at kap just put some BFG's on alloys for 300 quid on FB
215/75/15 bargain 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 May 2023 19:07 #249370 by Lambert
My spare set are radar renegade at5's and are extremely competent even in wet clay for an all terrain you just have to remember to use wheel speed to enable the self cleaning a little more than a mud tyre but on road they really do show up the shortcomings of the Bridgestone factory tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Jul 2023 18:07 #249884 by Grizzlie
aaaand I went with Geolandar M/T's.

I've only got them tested in dry grassy/sandy fire roads and farm access roads with bits of plains/fields and forest (in between tree stuff). Sadly no mud...yet.

So far they feel good. They do inspire confidence when trailblazing in the forest. I'm seemingly less worried about punctures. I do feel them ever so slightly bogging down in light/medium sand. Mind you, I have yet to lower pressures and these first drives were at 28psi.

Gas consumption increased from 6.9 to 7.4 l/100km @ 90kmh on normal roads, and from an average 8 to about 10,5 l/100 offroad. There's quite an audible hum on the bitumen and it's also present on the fire roads (sounds like a faraway plane).

They look awesome! :D

Dare I say I should have gone with the Radar Renegades or BFG all-terrains to keep the on-road manners, but again, still have to put in some mud runs.

More
17 Jul 2023 08:13 #249889 by Roger Fairclough
I agree with Busta. I use the 215 size.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds