BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Towbar bike rack recommendations?

More
22 May 2023 13:40 #249219 by GinnieB
I'm getting a towbar* fitted to my Gen 3 Jimny, and am after some recommendations for a 2-bike rack to for it. Any recommendations of brands/models? 

*thanks for the article on this, Big Jimny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2023 07:22 #249235 by Scimike
How far the towbar protrudes and it's type (Swan neck or traditional) will impact which will work on your Jimny.
So which type are you having fitted and do you have the spare mounted on the back door?

It's all about clearing the spare, some vertical bar type mounts may hit the spare depending upon how far the towbar mount point protrudes.
So for any recommendations check all things are the same.

I have a Thule 3 bike that I've had on all my cars. But even with a Witter removable swan neck (it protrudes a lot) it just fouls the spare, so to use it on the Jimmy I have to remove the spare.
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
23 May 2023 08:45 #249238 by facade
I also have a Thule "3 bike" (in their dreams, no way can I get 3 adult 'bikes on it)  and with the standard shin bruising hitch on the gen 3 I could only get one bike on it because of the spare wheel. And the 'bike sticks out far enough past the car that I worry about hitting something.

I solved the problem by getting collapsible bikes that go in the back.  You can get even folding mountain bikes nowadays.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
23 May 2023 12:38 - 23 May 2023 12:41 #249242 by GinnieB
Thanks for this - according to the garage fitting the towbar, they cannot stick out too far as they become less able to support weight the more they protrude (which makes sense). So I may have to remove the spare when using the bike rack as you suggest, which I'm happy to do!
Last edit: 23 May 2023 12:41 by GinnieB.

More
23 May 2023 12:41 #249243 by GinnieB
Thanks - great advice!

More
23 May 2023 19:10 #249247 by Zaskar97
On my gen 3 I have the Brink detachable tow bar, which clears the door mounted spare wheel. I have the Thule velo compact 3 bike carrier and it fits just right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GinnieB

• Jonesie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2023 19:14 #249248 by Jonesie
Replied by Jonesie on topic Towbar bike rack recommendations?
This is the puppy,
northshoreracks.com/?v=79cba1185463
Huge denero but will always have a strong resale value.
Needs an American hitch ( readily available on the bay ).

This is another U.K. alternative which you can either use as a two with the spare on or a three if you remove the spare wheel.

• Jonesie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2023 19:17 #249249 by Jonesie

More
24 May 2023 06:23 #249257 by LM42
Witter bike rack

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

More
24 May 2023 17:41 #249266 by GinnieB
Thanks - very helpful! Will look for this one too as the Thule seems hard to find at the moment.

More
04 Oct 2023 20:21 #251185 by Dazcush
Can you send a link to the tow bar you use? I am looking to get on and fit a bike rack also! Thanks

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds