BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Aftermarket alarm systems?

More
22 May 2023 07:30 - 22 May 2023 07:31 #249215 by GinnieB
Any advice on an aftermarket alarm system for a Gen 3 Jimny? I looked on the Halfords website and the Gen 3 model didn't come up! Don't want to spend a huge amount of money as the car is parked on a private drive, but want to make it as hard as possibl for thieves (I've just installed a Trutrack GPS tracker ). Many thanks!!
Last edit: 22 May 2023 07:31 by GinnieB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 May 2023 11:20 #249216 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Aftermarket alarm systems?
I get where you are coming from but these days if they want it then they just go for the keys either physically or with a spoofing device. At least with a tracking system you know where it is to direct the police. I also have a steering wheel lock just to make the opportunist look elsewhere.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 May 2023 11:22 #249217 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Aftermarket alarm systems?
Also it's a matter of being able to demonstrate to the insurance that some effort was made to minimise the risk.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GinnieB

More
22 May 2023 13:32 #249218 by GinnieB
Replied by GinnieB on topic Aftermarket alarm systems?
Thanks for the advice. I'm getting a tracker today and have just ordered a steering lock!

More
22 May 2023 13:40 #249220 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Aftermarket alarm systems?
I used to fit an after-market car alarm to all my vehicles which didn't have one, go for a Thatcham approved model, it will be about £50-£100 if you fit it yourself.

However, the problem with an alarm is will it stop someone from having a go (no) and if they set the alarm off will they continue to try and steal the vehicle (yes), this is based on experience with other makes of car.

If your alarm goes off at 2am on a dark winter's night are you prepared to get dressed and go outside to confront whoever might be there, given it might not even be safe or wise to do so?

Your tracker is a much better idea, however, if the thief knows it is there he will only disable it before you can get chance to use it.

If it is parked on a drive, get some gates and lock them, that way a thief might not even bother looking at your car. Or get a security camera fitted to the house pointing at the car, that way you might get a video of the thief stealing the car.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 May 2023 18:08 - 22 May 2023 18:15 #249223 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Aftermarket alarm systems?
I also favour a visible approach, disklok is the type to go for if you have the cash. This can be enough to make them look at someone else's car rather than yours. The standard immobiliser should slow them down, the forum is certainly unable to get around it 
Park sensible and don't have any valuables on show, commonsense helps.
I have a trutrack or two fitted to some of my vehicles, works well. I use the geo fencing feature to make safe places. If the vehicle moves out of this area or is even started I get a txt and email alert. You can then track if you wish or inform the police via trutrack. Hide the thing though, don't just glue it to the battery as they suggest.
Yes all these devices can be defeated given enough time, but time is the enemy of thieves. Do nothing and they drive away in seconds.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 May 2023 18:15 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GinnieB

More
22 May 2023 23:59 #249231 by GinnieB
That's great advice, thank you.

More
23 May 2023 00:01 #249232 by GinnieB
Thanks – I've just received my Trutrack today and will try make sure it's hidden away. Not sure how I can do this though, as the wires are quite short.

More
23 May 2023 06:56 - 23 May 2023 06:58 #249234 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Aftermarket alarm systems?
Yes they are very short! As supplied you have no choice but to mount it to the battery.
Nothing wrong with this other than it's in view if the bonnet is opened.

You can easily extend the wires or look at mounting it near the fuse box in the driver's footwell. This also provides a convenient location to pick up a permanent 12v supply using a spur fuse adapter. They look like this and plug into the fuse box.

It's easy for me to say all this as I am quite happy playing with car electrics, but if you are not it looks like spaghetti.
See if you can find help locally or have a go yourself, people on here will always try and help.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 May 2023 06:58 by Scimike.

More
23 May 2023 07:54 #249236 by GinnieB
So helpful, thank you. If I can't get a friend to do it I will ask my local auto electrician..

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds