BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Castlewood 4x4

More
21 May 2023 19:59 - 21 May 2023 20:13 #249212 by Soeley
Castlewood 4x4 was created by Soeley
Just got back from the first  Castlewood 4x4  show in North Wales.
Was a great weekend and well organised. 

All packed up.

I was the first to arrive 

Soon had the coffee on.

Then finished setting up. 

A recent purchase was the Ridgemonkey sandwich toaster,  i would highly recommended it.

My washing-up bowl worked a treat as well.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2023 20:13 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2023 10:09 - 23 May 2023 10:41 #249240 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Castlewood 4x4
Nice setup! Wish I was so organized that I could post pictures of my Car and Trailer insides :) Maybe some day.
I have had problems with a similar gas stove that you have, bought mine cheap at a Halfords kind of place. The gas cans get cold and the flame die down. Some stoves have a heat pipe built in to prevent but might be I got too cheap gas cans as well.
Considering also making a slide out floor/drawers in the bottom of not my car, but the trailer.

Edit: See you also got the Alpicool(?) fridge. So pleased with mine 30 liters. Got it on the car start battery wich i swapped for a 70Ah AGM battery. It will keep cool and voltage above 12v for at least 24 or 36 hours if not left in the sun. I have a battery in the trailer as well for the cooler when I do offroading or stay longer without charging. See you have a separate power supply.

Sorry for being off the castlewood topic as I should have put this in your build thread or my Jimny topic :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 23 May 2023 10:41 by yakuza.

More
23 May 2023 13:25 #249244 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Castlewood 4x4
I was pleased to see you have a Trangia stove (picture 6 with the kettle), I have had one for 40 years, still going strong and didn't think anyone used them anymore what with all of these new fangled gas and multi-fuel stoves on offer.

Did you get any photos of the 4x4 action?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 May 2023 20:06 #249252 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Castlewood 4x4

Nice setup! Wish I was so organized that I could post pictures of my Car and Trailer insides :) Maybe some day.
I have had problems with a similar gas stove that you have, bought mine cheap at a Halfords kind of place. The gas cans get cold and the flame die down. Some stoves have a heat pipe built in to prevent but might be I got too cheap gas cans as well.
Considering also making a slide out floor/drawers in the bottom of not my car, but the trailer.

Edit: See you also got the Alpicool(?) fridge. So pleased with mine 30 liters. Got it on the car start battery wich i swapped for a 70Ah AGM battery. It will keep cool and voltage above 12v for at least 24 or 36 hours if not left in the sun. I have a battery in the trailer as well for the cooler when I do offroading or stay longer without charging. See you have a separate power supply.

Sorry for being off the castlewood topic as I should have put this in your build thread or my Jimny topic :)
Thanks.
I know what you mean with the gas stove and the kind of canister they use. If you look closely, you will see a hose coming out of the canister cover. This stove came with an adaptor you can use the the screw thread type canisters with. That way you have more choice of gas mix for colder temperatures.
Slide out table is great, far better than I thought possible, I was considering a fold down tailgate table, but this is better as you can still slide the fridge out with table still extended.

The fridge is an Alpicool rebrand "Lvyuan" 40 litre £135 of eBay. 30ltr would have been enough for me but at the time the 40ltr was cheaper than the 30ltr. And seeing as the only difference in size is height, it didn't matter. I like this design, as all the vents are up top. This means you can pack tight around the fridge if need be and not worry about blocking any vents.

No worries about being off topic, it all relate to the pictures 

More
23 May 2023 20:13 #249253 by Soeley

I was pleased to see you have a Trangia stove (picture 6 with the kettle), I have had one for 40 years, still going strong and didn't think anyone used them anymore what with all of these new fangled gas and multi-fuel stoves on offer.

Did you get any photos of the 4x4 action?

Robin
The Trangia is quite a new addition, wish I'd known more about them sooner. I bought a knock off gas burner for it off Amazon for £15. I tend to use a mix of the Trangia and single hot plate (suppose it's good to have a back up  )

There wasn't any 4x4 action, it was a show with trade stands and band on Saturday night. Nothing to stop anyone going off site for the day to do some lanes, but I think with the weather being so good everyone stayed and chilled around the campsite.

More
24 May 2023 05:21 #249255 by yakuza
I see the adaptor now for the canister, I'll check that out.
Be careful if you are using the trangia burner with red spirits, enough burn injuries with those. I bought my daughter a simple gas burner, the one you screw on the butane canister, after reading of how many scouts that get burned.
I have a backup too. Or a few for also cooking two sorts like the cofee and the eggs. I have a Jetboil for cofee and shower(!) water and a cheap screw on burner that I use alot. There is also an adaptor for the Jetboil burner I'd like to get to use that one for the normal pots and pans. Very pleased with the Jetboil!

I see you where there early, as where we the Norwegians at the Danish meet. First to come and last to leave :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
24 May 2023 05:51 #249256 by Soeley
What do you call Red Spirits? just Googled it and only come up with drinking spirits.

I also have a Jetboil type, but it is made by Alpkit, very good quality at half the price   I bought that for walks, before i even had the Jimny. I got another adapter for that, so you can have the canister remotely to lower the height of the burner, makes it more stable if using larger pans.

More
24 May 2023 12:40 #249262 by DrRobin
I have a JetBoil and insulated mug from a few years ago, very good indeed, I don't use it that much so it's still on the original canister.

I think Red Spirit is just Methalyted Spirt in Norwegian, but it is coloured red. I seem to remember we had to buy 'rød spirit' for the Trangia when we were there backpacking in 1990.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza, Soeley

More
24 May 2023 18:36 #249268 by yakuza

I have a JetBoil and insulated mug from a few years ago, very good indeed, I don't use it that much so it's still on the original canister.

I think Red Spirit is just Methalyted Spirt in Norwegian, but it is coloured red. I seem to remember we had to buy 'rød spirit' for the Trangia when we were there backpacking in 1990.

Robin
Completely correct Robin, thanks! That was google translate..
Where in Norway if you remember? (Just curious)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
24 May 2023 19:13 #249273 by DrRobin
The ferry from Newcastle to Bergen, then train to Myrdal, we walked up a local hill, in deep snow (it was June) and camped a couple of nights on the snow. Then walked down to Flam, caught the ferry round to Gudvangen (I think) then set off walking round to Vosse, but it was too hard going so we caught a bus.

We caught another train up to Geilo and do a few over-nights round the hills, then headed south somewhere over the hills, to a fjord and caught a ferry to Odda to go up on to the glacier.

A couple more days walking round there and it was time to get the train over to Oslo where we caught a ferry back to Newcastle, a 2 week trip.

The ferry pulled in to Kristiansand and there in the harbour was an oil rig floating Hotel I had worked on for a week a few years earlier when it was been fitted out in Stavanger.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds