BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Anyone tow with their JB74? - extended mirrors???

More
11 May 2023 17:24 #249083 by 300bhpton
Want to try the caravan behind the Jimny. But my extended mirrors don't seem to suit the Jimny mirrors.

I have a set of these that work well on my p38 RR:

But there isn't really enough gap around the glass to fit them on the Jimny.

I can't see any 'official' extended mirrors from Suzuki. So looking for suggestions on what will work.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2023 19:10 - 11 May 2023 19:14 #249085 by Scimike
Sorry not a JB74, but my experience on my G3 may help.
I've tried these - absolutely useless - avoid. Vibrate way too much and iffy fit at best.

I've now use MP8327 and the "tongs" just clear the glass at my adjustment. If I move the Jimny mirror glass slightly they clear well. I can't remember at the moment if I mount them on the Jimny mirror bottom, rather than the top as shown in instructional pictures. It does not matter which way you mount. They work very well for me, but is a G3.
A lot cheaper than the similar Milenco, which when tried did not clear the glass on mine also.

Hope this helps some way.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 May 2023 19:14 by Scimike.

More
27 May 2023 19:23 #249315 by lightning
What caravan do you have. l would be interested to know how you get on towing a caravan with the Jimny. We've got a Swift Basecamp 2 which weighs around 1,000kg and l am trying to pluck up the courage to try towing it with our 2020 SZ5

More
27 May 2023 22:44 - 27 May 2023 22:56 #249316 by Scimike
From a stability point of view you won't have any issues, the Jimny is solid and planted.
From a performance point of view it lacks power.
​​​​​That said the Jimny low gearing helps. It will pull up all inclines I've found, but be ready to get as low as second gear and rev the beans out of it.
After the odd hill thrashing it will pull 50-55mph on a mostly flat motorway all day. I pull our caravan to Cornwall on a regular basis, 360 miles one way and it never misses a beat.

So I am not referring to the G4 which I believe you want. However, I believe my experiences will have some similarities, so this may help you decide if it's for you.
I have a 2009 G3 manual pulling 750kg with all the 1.3NA engine has 84BHP/110nm.
The additional power of the 1.5 should help you, but then this will be offset by the extra 250kg of your Basecamp2 (nice van by the way).  I believe the end result will be a similar experience.

The experience is 50-55 max and say hello to low gears and high revs on any inclines .

You will also discover just how impatient some can be as they try to overtake at every opportunity, the are like angry wasps buzzing around you. I know this is a caravan towing experience, but it's just slightly worse in the Jimny as it's slower.

So it can do it and I suggest you just give it a go.

If you have something better it's never going to compete. If I had a vehicle better suited (more power) in no way would I use my Jimny to tow, but I don't, so for me it tows just fine.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2023 22:56 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 May 2023 04:39 #249317 by Lambert
Not caravans but livestock and with a gen3 automatic. At full weight so 2700ish kg train I realistically expect to loose upto 30mph on the same hills against being solo and unloaded but that said I am usually leaving about 2500 rpm off the engine by leaving it in drive rather than forcing the issue by locking out the upper gears. Also conservation of momentum is absolutely key, not always practical if you don't know the road or if you get behind some boomer with an allergy to the speed limit, but the more momentum the better on hills.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 May 2023 04:44 #249318 by Lambert
As for visibility I believe the regulations are you have to be able to see an object in line with the edge of the trailer at a distance of 20 feet from the back edge and simultaneously see an object at the same distance but 20 feet to the side. I think it's feet not meters I think.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds