BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 16” rims

More
09 May 2023 13:35 #249034 by Dodger
Gen 4 16” rims was created by Dodger
So I’m thinking about some aftermarket rims for my SZ5. It’s my daily but I like to have a little fun off road.

There seems to be more choice in 16” size but I’m interested to know if the 16” rims would change how the car feels to drive on road much?
was thinking 215/75 BFG K02 or Falken Wildpeaks AT3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2023 14:08 #249035 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Gen 4 16” rims
Hi and welcome to the forum.

215/75 BFG are available in 15" rims as well and are a popular fitment.

Are you looking for steel or alloy wheels? I am guessing steel, are they going to be a second set to your original fitment?

15" steel wheels are available from Jimnybits.co.uk and Raptor4x4.net to name two suppliers, there are others. You also need to get the correct offset when buying wheels, find out what your is already and use the tyre size as a guide to the best offset, it might be the same as you already have.

16" will most likely change your gearing, so your speedo will under-read and you might find top gear is a bit higher to pull. I am not sure if 16" fits your Jimny without a lift, someone else will be able to advise.

I run 215/75 on 15" rims on my Gen 3, that is the biggest I can run without a lift/bumber cutting, but the Gen 4 might have more space.

Hope that helps.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger

More
09 May 2023 14:41 #249037 by Dodger
Replied by Dodger on topic Gen 4 16” rims
Well I was thinking alloy wheels for the custom look and they would be lighter than steel. (I’ve seen some on Jimny style site)

So the tyre would be 215/75r16 I believe that would fit the SZ5 with stock suspension.
My other idea was to get the stock alloys stripped and re-coated in black and fit 215/75r15 but I think fancy more of a different look.

I’m curious as to if a 16” rim improves road handling at all?

More
09 May 2023 15:35 #249039 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Gen 4 16” rims
The kei version of the Gen 4 uses 16" rims. Might be worth looking at some of the Japanese Jimny sites (w/ Google Translate) to see what the domestic market cars are kitted with.

More
09 May 2023 15:45 #249040 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Gen 4 16” rims
Attempting to discuss the "impact" of a change in rim size is pointless unless you include a few more "critical" details such as the tire you're going to run (the profile makes a huge difference) and the offset also affects things.

As an example, you can choose to increase the diameter of the rim and compensate for that by decreasing the tire profile so that the rolling diameter remains the same (or is very close) - this will usually improve road handling, because it reduces the sidewall height, which in turn reduces how much rubber you have between the wheel rim and the road - less rubber, less flex, more precise handling - BUT - there are disadvantages, less flex means less comfort, and less rubber between the rim & the road can increased the likelihood of rim damage.

More
09 May 2023 15:48 #249041 by driver9
Replied by driver9 on topic Gen 4 16” rims
Give Twisted Automotive a call as they have started upgrading the Gen 4.

More
09 May 2023 16:07 #249042 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Gen 4 16” rims
I've been on 16's for years 
Ran with 225 75 16. 195 80 16 
Now on 7.50 16 
Just fitted these wheels made a big difference from the steel's 

Attachments:

More
09 May 2023 16:24 #249043 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Gen 4 16” rims

DrRobin wrote: Hi and welcome to the forum.

215/75 BFG are available in 15" rims as well and are a popular fitment.

Are you looking for steel or alloy wheels? I am guessing steel, are they going to be a second set to your original fitment?

15" steel wheels are available from Jimnybits.co.uk and Raptor4x4.net to name two suppliers, there are others. You also need to get the correct offset when buying wheels, find out what your is already and use the tyre size as a guide to the best offset, it might be the same as you already have.

16" will most likely change your gearing, so your speedo will under-read and you might find top gear is a bit higher to pull. I am not sure if 16" fits your Jimny without a lift, someone else will be able to advise.

I run 215/75 on 15" rims on my Gen 3, that is the biggest I can run without a lift/bumber cutting, but the Gen 4 might have more space.

Hope that helps.

Robin

16 inch rims have no impact on gearing. The overall tyre circumference and size may impact gearing

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
09 May 2023 17:11 #249048 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen 4 16” rims
Bigger rims will almost always be heavier than smaller ones, and alloys aren't necessarily lighter than steel, so you need to do a bit more research to determine what effect they will have. The only practical reason for fitting bigger rims is to allow clearance for larger brakes. They are generally detrimental to performance in every other respect.

More
09 May 2023 17:14 #249049 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen 4 16” rims

Well I was thinking alloy wheels for the custom look and they would be lighter than steel. (I’ve seen some on Jimny style site)

So the tyre would be 215/75r16 I believe that would fit the SZ5 with stock suspension.
My other idea was to get the stock alloys stripped and re-coated in black and fit 215/75r15 but I think fancy more of a different look.

I’m curious as to if a 16” rim improves road handling at all?
Very unlikely to 'improve' in either case. But probably won't make it significantly worse either IMO.

A 215/75R15 is taller and wider than a stock size tyre, and thus heavier. In 16" trim it is taller again. Overall gearing will be impacted more. But only you will be able to tell if this will bother you or not (and maybe not until you have driven it!). Expect it to feel less punchy and peppy on road. If you tow 1st gear pulling away might not be so good and off road your low speed crawl will be faster.

Not massive amounts mind.

195/80R15 = 27.3" tall
215/75R15 = 27.7"
215/75R16 = 28.7"

If you are going from the factory tyre to an AT or MT expect it to blunt performance a bit in terms of acceleration. I think this is more a weight/rotating mass thing than size. I have 215/75R15 AT's on mine and it was quite noticeable as a direct back to back drive.

MPG will drop too.

The 16" is quite a big jump in size from stock. So I'd expect it to be quite noticeable.

Handling wise I suspect tread will play more of a part in it. As the sidewall size will be the same on either of the 215/75 tyres. Although technically total vehicle height will have increased from the ground with the 16" version.

More
09 May 2023 17:39 #249050 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Gen 4 16” rims
Both my Jimnys run 215/75/R15 BFG KM3 mud tires. One has a 50mm lift and the other is stock. No problems with the tires fitted to a stock suspension. I would agree with others that the tires themselves don’t  really add anything to improve handling although maybe goes through potholes better by having chunky tread. I think my lifted jimny has better handling than the stock suspension riding over bumps better but does lean more. Performance wise I think there’s a slight drop although our commercial feels faster than the SZ5 which could be due to having less weight. 
Attachments:

More
09 May 2023 19:24 #249056 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Gen 4 16” rims
My alloys are 6kg lighter than the steel's 
And this weight loss is so noticeable 
In acceleration steering feels lighter braking better 
Also my intermittent slight wobble has gone 
But take into account my tyres stand 32" tall 
And are wheel/tyre 27kg each 

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds