BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

31” tyres, 2” lift, standard bumpers?

More
20 Apr 2023 19:34 #248731 by martinjsmith6
Hi all, 

I’m relatively new here so hello!

I have stock Jimny currently running standard suspension with 215/75/15 Toyo AT’s. These are great tyres but I’d quite like a little more ground clearance and more mud plugging capabilities. I don’t want anything more than a 2” lift as I do daily the car for around 10 miles and I cannot be bothered faffing around changing brake hoses and stuff. I don’t mind doing a little bumper trimming within reason. What do you think is the max size tyres I can put on? I’m currently looking at either 235/75/15 which would give 1.2” lift which I’m not sure is quite enough or 31/10.5/15 which would give 3.3” lift.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Apr 2023 03:26 #248732 by Lambert
Anything bigger than the 215 you have now is going to need a regear of some description as you will quickly burn up either the clutch or the transmission fluid. Not saying it can't be done just that it's not as simple as fitting the tyres under the car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Apr 2023 13:12 #248737 by yakuza
My clutch is smelly also with the 235 and low gears. It holds but will be changed. And 235 without more engine or gearing will make a dull car. 31 would need major cutting of the fenders and bumper to clear.
All this based on my own experience.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
21 Apr 2023 13:31 #248738 by saxj

Hi all, 

I’m relatively new here so hello!

I have stock Jimny currently running standard suspension with 215/75/15 Toyo AT’s. These are great tyres but I’d quite like a little more ground clearance and more mud plugging capabilities. I don’t want anything more than a 2” lift as I do daily the car for around 10 miles and I cannot be bothered faffing around changing brake hoses and stuff. I don’t mind doing a little bumper trimming within reason. What do you think is the max size tyres I can put on? I’m currently looking at either 235/75/15 which would give 1.2” lift which I’m not sure is quite enough or 31/10.5/15 which would give 3.3” lift.
You don't say which model Jimny you have.

On a gen 3, 235's don't fit with a 2" lift. You need to some cutting.
On a gen 4, 235's just fit with a 2" lift with a little trimming of the front bumper.

More
21 Apr 2023 16:42 - 21 Apr 2023 16:46 #248743 by yakuza
If you accept minor rubbing on full flex 235 is ok on stock wheels. No cutting. Yes the stock wheels are too narrow so in some peoples book it is not ok. But for me it works fine.

Edit: and no mud flaps. 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2023 16:46 by yakuza.

More
22 Apr 2023 20:45 - 22 Apr 2023 20:46 #248767 by martinjsmith6
Sorry forgot to add that bit! It’s a Gen 3 Automatic.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2023 20:46 by martinjsmith6.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Apr 2023 04:57 #248769 by Lambert
Then I stand by my earlier comment that you will cook the transmission fluid. The bigger tyres will cause the torque converter to be in a state of slip for extended periods which will over heat and denature the fluid. Adding additional coolers will only mask the problem, a new set of transfer gears over comes it. There's also the issue of stress as applied to both the internal parts of the axles and also the outer tubes themselves. You can expect to be changing wheel bearings and kingpin bearings as a regular service item and while the automatic is gentler on the CV joints it's likely they will have a much reduced service life too, now you can get bigger stronger CV joints but they are multiple times the cost of stock ones so it becomes a question of value. Then there is the issue of the axle tube bending or cracking the welds which leads to trussing the axles. These are all problems that go away with the application of money of course. Also you can expect to need the angle grinder to interact with the front chassis body mount to retain some degree of steering especially when the wheel is compressed fully, again all perfectly doable but not necessarily a weekends work. All that said though a Jimny on 31s is quite a capable thing when done properly. Especially if you add axle lockers.

More
23 Apr 2023 10:22 #248772 by yakuza
Having done most of the mods for large tires and only driving on 235 i am with Lambert here. Have no experience with auto though but still mostly the same.
With my current setup with low gears, more engine ++ I would still be in doubt to go to 31.

More
23 Apr 2023 15:07 - 23 Apr 2023 15:10 #248778 by martinjsmith6

Then I stand by my earlier comment that you will cook the transmission fluid. The bigger tyres will cause the torque converter to be in a state of slip for extended periods which will over heat and denature the fluid. Adding additional coolers will only mask the problem, a new set of transfer gears over comes it. There's also the issue of stress as applied to both the internal parts of the axles and also the outer tubes themselves. You can expect to be changing wheel bearings and kingpin bearings as a regular service item and while the automatic is gentler on the CV joints it's likely they will have a much reduced service life too, now you can get bigger stronger CV joints but they are multiple times the cost of stock ones so it becomes a question of value. Then there is the issue of the axle tube bending or cracking the welds which leads to trussing the axles. These are all problems that go away with the application of money of course. Also you can expect to need the angle grinder to interact with the front chassis body mount to retain some degree of steering especially when the wheel is compressed fully, again all perfectly doable but not necessarily a weekends work. All that said though a Jimny on 31s is quite a capable thing when done properly. Especially if you add axle lockers.

Ok so sticking with the 215’s I have now, is it worth doing a 2” lift?
Last edit: 23 Apr 2023 15:10 by martinjsmith6.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Apr 2023 16:19 #248793 by Lambert
It will improve the clearance angles for climbing about on stuff so a lift isn't without merit, it will also be replacing worn standard suspension with new so the ride quality will improve assuming you get a good reputable brand of lift. But unfortunately it will not alter the clearance under the diffs so ruts are still going to need thought. Many people have but but I'm not one of them.

More
23 Apr 2023 17:17 - 23 Apr 2023 17:17 #248798 by martinjsmith6

It will improve the clearance angles for climbing about on stuff so a lift isn't without merit, it will also be replacing worn standard suspension with new so the ride quality will improve assuming you get a good reputable brand of lift. But unfortunately it will not alter the clearance under the diffs so ruts are still going to need thought. Many people have but but I'm not one of them.

I was thinking exactly that on the worn standard suspension. What brands do you recommend I go for? I’ve been looking at the black raptor kits on Jimny bits, are they any good?
Last edit: 23 Apr 2023 17:17 by martinjsmith6.

More
23 Apr 2023 17:37 #248800 by jackonlyjack
Raptor kit will be fine 
If you want it more capable off road remove anti rollbar or fit a disconnect kit
This will allow full articulation on front axle 
But you will need extended brake lines if you go this route 

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds